Crime, Punishment and Courts > HM Customs and Excise related stuff

Can anyone shed any light on this?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Beachbum:
The following photos show the reason for the fold marks..............

MartinR:
I don't know where the Port of Rochester records are lodged, they might be in the Medway archives as the successor to the City of Rochester.  https://www.medway.gov.uk/archives

Beachbum:
Here is a more recent version of the Warrant. You will see the wording is the same as the second image from LorelyW

LorelyW:
Thank you so much MartinR for taking the time not only to provide a comprehensive transcription but also the gloss and additional info re rowing boats used by the water guard at the time. Sincerely appreciated.

I've done some digging re boatmen who were employed and assigned specifically to the customs houses during this period (as opposed to crew on larger boats docked in the vicinity) as this could be a likely avenue David Clegg undertook. When I was at the National Archives I was able to examine the crew lists for vessels listed as stationed within the port of Rochester in particular the creeks around Maidstone - the Rattlesnake was the largest boat and none of the crew lists (which are quite comprehensive from 1816 onwards) list David Clegg as crew.

Starting to think that given the limited records I've found thus far as regards his death and buriel that it may have been the case that something unfortunate may have happened to him between his start of employment in 1814 and the start of the more comprehensive crew lists from 1816 onwards - hence why his family treasured the document.

Think my next 'port of call' is to perhaps make a visit to the Kent Archives Centre and see if they hold any records from the local customs houses that might cover the correct time frame. I also intend to seek out any firmer records that relate to when David Clegg may have died since ancestry research shows he had a half brother also called David Clegg, in addition to his first born son taking his name, all of whome stayed within Maidstone, which makes the singular death record that shows for a David Clegg in Maidstone between 1800- 1850 or so, harder to attribute.

Hopefully Chatham dockyards may also  have some localised information - so will keep my fingers crossed and update as and when any further information comes to light - but thank you all once again for your help.

MartinR:
I've examined the new scan, and the original transcript had a few errors.  They were mainly due to archaic spellings, the long-s and the folds.  I've redone the transcript and attached a gloss for those not used to early 19thC legal documents.  I hope it helps.

Just found this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headborough

This may be of interest: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HM_Customs#Preventive_boats :
--- Quote ---By the late 18th century the design of the rowing boats used in preventive work was more or less standardised: they were between 20 & 24 ft in length, beam on average 6 ft, and were propelled with three pairs of oars (some were also provided with a sail). They were painted black with a red trim and with the royal arms displayed on the transom; from 1721 they were required to wear the distinguishing flag of the relevant revenue service when on duty. Each boat had a permanent crew of three boatmen, who would assist the officers on board as well as manning the oars.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version