Crime, Punishment and Courts > HM Customs and Excise related stuff

Can anyone shed any light on this?

(1/4) > >>

LorelyW:
Sounds like I shall be arranging a trip to both the Medway and the Maidstone archives soon then - many thanks.

MartinR:
@Castle261, The Bryant Road site has not been Strood library for some years now.  The Medway archives moved there and the library is now in the Community Hub at 133 High Street.

castle261:
Try Strood Library - in Bryant Road - that`s where a lot of local records were held - on film - for viewing.

LorelyW:

--- Quote from: Beachbum on January 14, 2023, 11:23:34 AM ---The following photos show the reason for the fold marks..............

--- End quote ---
Extremely grateful for the photos of your Warrant Beachbum - as you say the wording has barely altered. Yes David Clegg's has similar folds, but alas either has become separated from the pouch that may have held it or judging by the 'tar' marks on the outer side it looks to me as though it was kept in an oiled pocket - perhaps from some form of seafarers coat?

--- Quote from: MartinR on January 14, 2023, 10:59:16 AM ---I don't know where the Port of Rochester records are lodged, they might be in the Medway archives as the successor to the City of Rochester.  https://www.medway.gov.uk/archives

--- End quote ---
Good thinking MartinR - I contacted the Kent Archaelogical Society last week in case any of their members with a maritime interest might have an idea where other local records might be lodged, their Secretary has since come back to me and has put me in touch with two librarians at the Archives centre in Maidstone but as you say the Port of Rochester's records may be held at Medway so I'll email them tomorrow.

I thought perhaps Maidstone's Customs Office may have held some older records from the right time period, but seems they ceased operation in 2015, but it does appear that there is a national Boarder Force museum located at the Maritime Museum in Liverpool, so my final contact may well be them as perhaps some older records may have been sent there. I feel if I can find David Clegg's name attributed to a particular vessel, it might then give me a hint as to what happened to him, so fingers crossed!

MartinR:
It is hard getting used to reading "His Majesty" for "HM".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version