Industry > Figures in Industry

Strong Women of Medway.

<< < (2/2)

castle261:
More on

Constance  Hugget - Dockyard Worker - born in Brompton - Became one of the first women to be an overhead crane driver in War I - then again in War II.
She worked in France - behind enemy lines with the Women`s Royal Army Service. ( May be she was injured in second war - then dockyard service )

Hilda Willings - swimmer - one of the first Channel swimmers - she swam 30 miles - then had to give up - within 6 miles from France - where born ?

Perhaps we will hear if any relations are still living in Medway  ---  More later.

grandarog:
Didn't she change her name to Zandra?

stuartwaters:
I'm looking forward to reading about them  ;D

castle261:
 A shop in Rochester High Street - they display Strong Women of Medway - A photo + an account of what they did. I stopped to read during my little walk, the account of all of them - When I go past again I will take pen & paper - & record it for you - One was Sandra Rhodes, who obtained fame,
in the Fashion World - Another was an overhead Crane Driver in both wars I & 2 - Names as i find them.

Sorry about the long - long page- forgotten HOW to reduce it - STUART COME TO MY RESCUE ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version