Religion > Churches, Mosques, Synagogues and Temples

Christ the King, Princes Park, Chatham

(1/2) > >>

Lutonman:
Here are two maps alongside each other showing where the church is and where I think it relates to on an old map.

As a boy 60 odd years ago I remember being thrown off the "Farm" by a man in a van holding a shotgun. They were keeping cows on the fields where Heron way is now. I lived in  Bader Crescent on the Wayfield Estate just over the hill.

castle261:
I heard my name being call so here I am. Yes,  lived in Castle Road, until we went to South Wales.
I knew Walderslade up to the age of 11, we came back from Wales a year later, with Mr Semple
our science teacher. but not to Castle Road. My days of roaming around Walderslade were over.
I knew nothing of  Princes Park, only Safeways being built, or about a church being there.
(A relative lived in Defiant Close, I used to visit) - so I knew Walderslade from 1935 to 1939.

Princes Avenue was partly made up - A few paving stones here & there were some of the road
partly concreted over. There were chalk caves near Princes Avenue, filled in later I expect.

We did venture to a bungalow at the bottom of a hill at our age, made of a concrete base with galvanised sheets for the sides & roof too. (I recorded that piece - in the old KHF )

Dave Smith:
Lutonman. I've just had time to look back at previous posts. There's a lot about Walderslade and area, including Princes Avenue & of course, castle 261 who lived there pre WW2.

Lutonman:
Thanks Dave Smith, Yes I will add some more as time allows. We sometimes forget that recent events need to be recorded as they are history in the making as it were, hence my post. Some of those mentioned are now past and their names will be forgotten.

Dave Smith:
Lutonman. Interesting bit of local history- I'm sure castle261 will also be interested? Is there a photo of the church & exactly where it is please? My parents lived in Princes Avenue in the late 60's( prior to it being "made up"& the farm was still there), early 70's( when it was & the farm became a small estate of houses) but were not church goers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version