Industry > Miscellaneous Industrial History

Measurements old and new

<< < (3/9) > >>

Smiffy:
There's even a "T" gauge now which is less than half the size of "Z" gauge!

Dave Smith:
Nemo. Of course the continentals used HO, same track size but slightly different rolling stock. For my son- in my youth, I had O gauge- we bought  2nd hand TT, which I thought was by far the best, as small enough for a decent layout but not silly small like Z.

MartinR:
@Dave: Well caught (from last year), two mistakes in one post, must be going senile.  It's just as well that I didn't make that mistake doing my Yachtmaster/Coastal exam last autumn.  :-[
BTW, 1 nm is 1.85 km, so near enough 2 unless you are doing serious navigation in metric (and if so - why?).

Nemo:
I also grew up in "Imperial" days but, when you think about it, wasn't it strange, before and after the change, that OO gauge modelling (1:76) was always a mixture, being 4mm to 1 foot.

Dave Smith:
I've only just come across this thread & have read it with interest. I was born in 1930, so have only ever used Imperial; although towards the end of my working life, metric- or SI- was very much in vogue. I felt sorry for those who started metric at the change over for so much was - & still is, eg mph- in Imperial. Dave TT; yes, acre, they built houses then at 10 to the acre which put it into perspective. JohnF; I always used Btu's, & it was so easy to check out 3Btu's /ft3 to give a good indication of room heat loss. MartinR; afraid you are x60 out with the latitude. 1nm is 1minute of arc, not 1 degree. I nm is approx. 1.15 miles or 1 mile is approx. .9 of a mn.  In kms, " gawd knows"!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version