Industry > Brewers and Breweries

Lion Brewery, Chatham Intra

(1/3) > >>

Dave Smith:
Thanks Longpockets. Interesting, it seems that NO ONE is certain which way Tonbridge/Tunbridge is spelt!

Invicta Alec:

--- Quote from: Dave Smith on January 05, 2021, 11:39:43 AM ---The photo of the Tunbridge ( why is Tonbridge with an O?) ..........

--- End quote ---

Same reason that tongue is!  ;D

Alec.

pete.mason:
There used to be a road name  sign on the Westborough Working Mens club corner of Bower St & Tonbridge Rd spelt Tunbridge Rd in the 1970s if not later, not now visible on Google streetview

Longpockets:

--- Quote from: Dave Smith on January 05, 2021, 11:39:43 AM ---The photo of the Tunbridge ( why is Tonbridge with an O?)
--- End quote ---

Some detail, but not an answer. http://www.tonbridgehistory.org.uk/miscellany/tonbridge-or-tunbridge.htm

A bit like Downe Village and Down House.

Dave Smith:
The photo of the Tunbridge ( why is Tonbridge with an O?) Wells brewery is interesting, I never knew one existed there & it was pretty big- maybe it was before my time. There must have been dozens within Kent because of the hop growing- sadly all gone now. Although there is reference to the old KHF, on this new one there is little, other than the Lion Brewery, about these historic places. I'm sure there are many stories of interest?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version