Author Topic: Guess the Place  (Read 1041004 times)

Offline Beachbum

Re: Guess the Place
« Reply #4419 on: April 24, 2021, 08:00:11 PM »
Dave The Train was onto it and Diapason was spot on.
It is the 1863 Kent Coast Line Tunnel from Dumpton through to Ramsgate Sands Station. The ornate exterior was only seen when arriving from London (via Broadstairs) and plain at the other end (a common theme).
This is the best preserved Tunnel of it's vintage apparently.

Offline John Walker

« Reply #4418 on: April 24, 2021, 11:38:47 AM »
One of you is correct..............

I'm fairly certain it's on the Sandling Branch going by the brickwork around the arch?   

Offline Diapason

« Reply #4417 on: April 24, 2021, 10:04:43 AM »
Many years ago, we never used Ramsgate Railway Station as it was a long walk to the town and beach. Always alighted at Dumpton Park and finished the journey by using the little railway from Dumpton Park to the Ramsgate seafront which, I believe, was the site of the original Ramsgate Rail Station. I`ve got an old postcard (somewhere) showing a main line steam loco. standing approx. where the Dumpton line terminated at the seafront. Although I don`t remember seeing the tunnel entrance in Beachbum`s photo.

Offline Beachbum

« Reply #4416 on: April 23, 2021, 11:24:01 PM »
One of you is correct..............

Offline John Walker

« Reply #4415 on: April 23, 2021, 10:47:49 PM »
Sandling branch line tunnel ?

Offline DaveTheTrain

« Reply #4414 on: April 23, 2021, 10:18:18 PM »
I seem to recall something similar on Thanet as a kid. I will start by asking Thanet?

pete.mason

« Reply #4413 on: April 23, 2021, 09:29:14 PM »
Bishopsbourne?

Offline Beachbum

« Reply #4412 on: April 23, 2021, 09:00:46 PM »
Hopefully there is a attached photo for your search powers.........

pete.mason

« Reply #4411 on: April 23, 2021, 12:24:50 PM »
As Newhaven workhouse was known as Hill House  I googled Hill House Workhouse to see if it was commonly used as a name for workhouses and there are at least 2 in Kent,  Elham & Thanet and several elsewgere. When I stewarded at Newhaven Museum we often had family history searchers asking for info on Hill House, thinking it was grand only to be shocked to find it was the Workhouse

Offline Dave Smith

« Reply #4410 on: April 23, 2021, 12:04:47 PM »
Beachbum. Most of the old Workhouses were renamed Asylums before becoming Hospitals. I expect it was that name that sent shivers up your Grandparents' spines, for Asylum was always associated with Lunatic. ie madman/woman. Some were even renamed as Lunatic Asylum(e.g. Bexleyheath) before a more subtle name was used. I used to visit the Hospital Engineer at Bexley & there were plans in picture frames all along the corridor leading to his office from the earliest date, as Workhouse, through Lunatic Asylum, Asylum, Mental Institute,( a couple that I've forgotten), to just Hospital. It's really only in recent times that mental illness, in all its forms has become a complete department on its own. And of course is very much ongoing with the results of lockdown affecting many of the younger generation. We oldies were lucky in that respect.

Offline DaveTheTrain

« Reply #4409 on: April 22, 2021, 10:52:08 PM »
That's it Beachbum.   Spot on.   The photo shows Tothill Street (as it is named now), Minster.  The cemetery is to the left and it is heading towards Manston.

Over to you.
DTT

Offline Beachbum

« Reply #4408 on: April 22, 2021, 08:16:54 PM »
That's the Thanet Workhouse (renamed to Hill House Hospital) at Minster. Photo taken early 1900's from the South.My Grandparents dreaded ever going into there as it was generally the last stop for people on low incomes, generally followed by a paupers funeral.

Offline DaveTheTrain

« Reply #4407 on: April 22, 2021, 07:03:45 PM »
No, Pete.  They are not.  But you are not that far from the sea.  In fact I used to walk (occasionally) from home, to here as a lad. And home was in a seaside town.  It was a four mile walk.

DTT

pete.mason

« Reply #4406 on: April 22, 2021, 06:41:18 PM »
Are they Coastguard cottages next to it?

Offline DaveTheTrain

« Reply #4405 on: April 22, 2021, 02:40:51 PM »
It is a workhouse, Pete.  But not Blean.  You are getting closer (less than 20 miles).