Author Topic: Guess the Place  (Read 1042234 times)

Offline DaveTheTrain

Re: Guess the Place
« Reply #2251 on: June 16, 2020, 04:33:09 PM »
Is that Bredgar?

KeithG

« Reply #2250 on: June 16, 2020, 04:12:37 PM »
Thank you for that CAT...interesting description.

Where is this?

First Clue: ME postcode

Offline CAT

« Reply #2249 on: June 16, 2020, 03:53:25 PM »
Just as predicted, someone out there clearly knows their railway works  :).

Grade II listed as being 'Circa 1850 possibly by Samuel Beazley. Consists of a 2 storey lodge built of red brick with grey headers. Slate roof. Gabled ends with plain bargeboards. Simple sashes with verticals only. Round headed doorcase. Attached to the north-west is a brick clock tower of red brick slightly tapering towards the summit. The top stage is of yellow brick and has a triple opening on each side and a pyramidal cap with finial. Rusticated base. Modern extension on ground floor. The linking clock tower was originally free standing and is later in its style & materials, c1898'

Absolutely spot on KeithG. Over to you

KeithG

« Reply #2248 on: June 16, 2020, 01:32:56 PM »
Ashford Railway Works Clock Tower?

This tower marks the entrance to Ashford's railway works on Newtown Road.

Offline CAT

« Reply #2247 on: June 16, 2020, 01:06:28 PM »
Many thanks DaveTheTrain. I use to pass through the village frequently several years ago and always like this surviving rural enclave. Once a typical view of most rural villages, my own having the usual shop (x2), bakery, post office, carpenter (coffin maker, cordwainer and cobbler), school and two pubs. No garage and sadly all but the school have gone.

Here is next, which I'm sure will go very quick, but where is it and what was the clock tower for?

Offline DaveTheTrain

« Reply #2246 on: June 16, 2020, 11:39:57 AM »
Well done, CAT.  You are right.  I thought it might last longer. It was Tappenden's Store and PO.  The Bowl Inn as you correctly point out, run by the marvellous Big Ron until recently and now run by his lovely wife, Annie. A CAMRA award winning pub.

Hastingleigh, should be pronounced Aghh zing lie.  And on a Sunday night it is my bi-weekly regular pub.

Offline CAT

« Reply #2245 on: June 16, 2020, 11:24:03 AM »
That looks like the old village shop in The street, Hastingleigh?

If correct, then the pub would be The Bowl Inn with the car repair shop opposite?

Offline DaveTheTrain

« Reply #2244 on: June 16, 2020, 09:16:46 AM »
Thanks Pete, a silly error from me with road names, I lived off Queens Rd for a while.

Now, where is this?  Some clues to start:  Not the usual areas, but Kent Downs.  The name of the village is not pronounced as written (by quite some difference), although modern times most people pronounce it wrongly.  The shop looks exactly the same today, although closed.  Within no distance you could have a pint (as I do every alternate Sunday evening) in the pub opposite, buy Petrol next door or get some animal hides processed. 

That's all the clues for now. DTT

pete.mason

« Reply #2243 on: June 16, 2020, 08:47:02 AM »
I think the hospital was further back towards town and it's London Rd not Tonbridge Rd. Junction of Queens Rd and London Rd.  It was originally Fanum House , local HQ for the Automobile Association. In the 60s it had an aerial on the roof. There was also a bunker that was built &  used in WW2 as Anti Aircraft control room. Over to you Dave

Offline DaveTheTrain

« Reply #2242 on: June 15, 2020, 10:59:05 PM »
Pete's picture is the old Somerfield Hospital on Tonbridge Road, Maidstone.  Now Brachers, Solictors.

pete.mason

« Reply #2241 on: June 15, 2020, 08:13:41 PM »
not Ashford, go west

KeithG

« Reply #2240 on: June 15, 2020, 06:38:52 PM »
Yes shoot999 that's the name of the pub... great jukebox  ;D

There was a gap next door where we used to meet with our bikes in '64 -'65 next to the  Von Alten never had to go far for a pint

Offline shoot999

« Reply #2239 on: June 15, 2020, 06:26:25 PM »
KeithG - it was mainly from New Road down Gundulph and along the High street to where Anchorage house is now. They're all public domain now, so no problems with posting any of them.

Bye the way, no one got the name of the pub!

Royal Exchange?

KeithG

« Reply #2238 on: June 15, 2020, 06:23:48 PM »
I know... Although to be fair I made a mistake and only said
"where was this"  so Chatham High Street is correct.

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #2237 on: June 15, 2020, 06:16:14 PM »
KeithG - it was mainly from New Road down Gundulph and along the High street to where Anchorage house is now. They're all public domain now, so no problems with posting any of them.

Bye the way, no one got the name of the pub!