Author Topic: Guess the Place  (Read 1040447 times)

Offline John Walker

Re: Guess the Place
« Reply #1698 on: April 24, 2020, 06:05:46 PM »
I agree with what you say John Walker but it will not make much difference as i see it, some can't use the process of editing pictures from the computer and uploading them for the forum.

Hi Keith,  On a purely selfish note - it would certainly help me to use Google images  :D .  Kyn allowed Google images for those not able to get about easily or those without postcard collections etc and as far as I recall there were never any problems.  Many of my images on the old site were Google while I was unable to get about for a while.  I must admit, I didn't just post the image straight of the Google page - in fact nobody every realised my images were from Google.  I do appreciate not everyone can to do that though.   This is is an old Google GTP that I used on Kyn's site.  (Saint John the Baptist, Harrietsham )

John

KeithG

« Reply #1697 on: April 24, 2020, 05:48:59 PM »
Stweie.... Yes you have it.

Waiting and letting others have a go does not work either as there is no one else that plays we have seen most players.
I have held back before and the wait can be days.... Surely the object is to keep the game moving....which maybe why not many players play only us die hards!

Offline Stewie

« Reply #1696 on: April 24, 2020, 05:11:47 PM »
The House is called Satis House.

KeithG

« Reply #1695 on: April 24, 2020, 04:52:39 PM »
I agree with what you say John Walker but it will not make much difference as i see it, some can't use the process of editing pictures from the computer and uploading them for the forum.

KeithG

« Reply #1694 on: April 24, 2020, 04:34:37 PM »
Stewie..... Yes it is there but look up what it is called!

MartinR... You can use online pictures if you have subscribed to them and printed out for to scan nothing devious there.
I don't think the word "satisfied" by Royalty is very obscure.

Surely members have post cards which are allowed but it is not fair to members to join in if they do not have a picture to use it just causes aggravation and less will participate as i for one are on the cusp of not bothering and already compared with the old site it is the same very few that do Guess The Place ..... Yes it gets boring seeing the same old names but at least some are still learning about Kent.

I don't think members are as interested as before as sparse on clues and not given for a long time and also questions are far and few between which is the way one guesses where the picture is....

Offline John Walker

« Reply #1693 on: April 24, 2020, 04:14:10 PM »
While we're a bit 'off-topic' can I ask you, Stewie that GSV images are now permitted (with acknowledgement to Google of course).  I no longer have a car and I've already put well over 100 GTPs photos up over the years.  Like other's I'm running very short of new material.

Just hoping it's ok, as the possibilities would be endless and we can all join in again.

Regards

John

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #1692 on: April 24, 2020, 04:06:38 PM »
Sorry Keith, I was trying to be obscure so that it didn't help others.  All the photos I have are fairly obvious (or just too darn obscure) and I've had to resort to photocopies from books or the web (which is a bit naughty).

Offline Stewie

« Reply #1691 on: April 24, 2020, 03:26:13 PM »
Would it be in Bakers Walk just behind the Castle in Rochester?

KeithG

« Reply #1690 on: April 24, 2020, 01:45:23 PM »
MartinR..... You are supposed to take part if you have a picture to put up and not to give MY clues away?

So sorry to be pedantic buy i don't make the rules !

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
« Reply #1689 on: April 24, 2020, 01:24:16 PM »
There would be a bust of a famous philanthropist above that door, one who satisfied royalty?

KeithG

« Reply #1688 on: April 24, 2020, 01:09:37 PM »
Thank You Pete...

A postcard of mine:
What and where exactly?

pete.mason

« Reply #1687 on: April 24, 2020, 12:05:15 PM »
It is.  Well done that man.

KeithG

« Reply #1686 on: April 24, 2020, 10:51:41 AM »
Is it the Kentish Rifleman at Dunks Green?

pete.mason

« Reply #1685 on: April 24, 2020, 09:59:38 AM »
MartinR  no, castle261 no. Word precedes Rifleman

Ooops just looked at another photo and the sign has been repainted since I knew it, originally the soldier had a Home Guard armband,  so just concentrate on tthe right name

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
« Reply #1684 on: April 24, 2020, 09:28:48 AM »
Is the unusual thing that the eponymous rifleman is sat on a rock?  Alternatively the foundation date is pretty early.  I'll leave it to someone else to post the full name, I'm flat out of photos.