Author Topic: Guess the Place  (Read 1040940 times)

Online MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
Re: Guess the Place
« Reply #8469 on: May 25, 2023, 08:19:47 AM »
Not in a boat, but very nearly there.

Offline John Walker

« Reply #8468 on: May 24, 2023, 11:09:42 PM »
Were you sitting on a boat in the Thames looking toward Sheerness/Queenborough?

Online MartinR

• Administrator
« Reply #8467 on: May 24, 2023, 10:24:08 PM »
Close-ish but not quite there.

Offline grandarog

• Mr
  • Man of Kent .Born and Bred.
« Reply #8466 on: May 24, 2023, 08:13:33 PM »
Photo taken from somewhere near Briele Way taken across Peel Port Turbines with the Thames Fort and Essex in the background.

Online MartinR

• Administrator
« Reply #8465 on: May 24, 2023, 11:00:45 AM »
OK, here is an easy one to restart the ball rolling.  Where are these wind turbines, and where was I sat?

Offline John Walker

« Reply #8464 on: May 24, 2023, 08:40:10 AM »
Okay, it's time to hold my hand up and admit a mistake. Shoot99 and Grandarog are right and in the spirit of absolute fairness, it really should be Shoot999's turn. If he's happy to let MartinR have it, then that's fine with me. I can only offer my sincere apologies to MartinR and to the rest of the players.

In mitigation, I did take the photo more than ten years ago and for some reason, managed to convince myself that it was in the grounds of the church in Upchurch. Looking through all my photos, I can see that I did take a bunch of photos around the church in Lower Halstow, the intention being to upload them to my PC and have a play with some photoshop-like software I had acquired.

Easy done StuartWaters  :D .   It made the GTP more interesting.  I'd never have found this one even if you had got the right church.

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #8463 on: May 23, 2023, 06:37:39 PM »
Okay, it's time to hold my hand up and admit a mistake. Shoot99 and Grandarog are right and in the spirit of absolute fairness, it really should be Shoot999's turn. If he's happy to let MartinR have it, then that's fine with me. I can only offer my sincere apologies to MartinR and to the rest of the players.

In mitigation, I did take the photo more than ten years ago and for some reason, managed to convince myself that it was in the grounds of the church in Upchurch. Looking through all my photos, I can see that I did take a bunch of photos around the church in Lower Halstow, the intention being to upload them to my PC and have a play with some photoshop-like software I had acquired.

"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

Offline John Walker

« Reply #8462 on: May 23, 2023, 12:23:46 AM »
Ah, so I didn't get it, but then I was only following Stuart's clues. :P

Is Shoot99 correct?  Where did you get the photo John?  Presumably it's now over to Shoot99.

I put St Margaret's of Antioch Church in Google Images and the photo came up with the correct title of the church which confirmed shoot999's guess.  :)

Online shoot999

« Reply #8461 on: May 22, 2023, 11:07:10 PM »

Is Shoot99 correct?  Where did you get the photo John?  Presumably it's now over to Shoot99.
[/quote
Happy for you to have it Martin as you followed the clues and played the game. Mine was merely a suggestion to grandarog of where to look as the other church is just down the road.

Offline grandarog

• Mr
« Reply #8460 on: May 22, 2023, 10:24:18 PM »
    Thanks for your Photo JohnWalker.
    It is always worrying when you know you are right to dispute something but don't have the answer to clear up the problem .

Online MartinR

• Administrator
« Reply #8459 on: May 22, 2023, 10:05:23 PM »

Offline John Walker

« Reply #8458 on: May 22, 2023, 07:53:26 PM »
A more recent view - only found it due to shoot999's post.

Online shoot999

« Reply #8457 on: May 22, 2023, 07:14:33 PM »
   Stu's GTP had me completely fooled having known Upchurch for over 25 years and lived here for the last
To throw the cat among the pigeons. i have done a lot of renovations and repairs to the Graves here and am very familiar with the Churchyard.
  There is no background view from any where in the churchyard (old or new part) that match's the picture. Certainly not with gravestones against a wall. The only wall with similar brickwork is flat topped and is tight to the wall of the Crown Pub, which has a brick out building, that would be in the left of the picture but isn't. I can be pretty sure the photo was not taken in St Mary's  at Upchurch. I have spoken with a couple of longer term residents and they do not recall a tree trunk cut into a seat either. Hopefully the GTP can be resolved :)

Maybe a trip down the lane to St Margaret's of Antioch Church at Lower Halstow to match up the background?

Offline grandarog

• Mr
« Reply #8456 on: May 22, 2023, 03:21:54 PM »
   Stu's GTP had me completely fooled having known Upchurch for over 25 years and lived here for the last
To throw the cat among the pigeons. i have done a lot of renovations and repairs to the Graves here and am very familiar with the Churchyard.
  There is no background view from any where in the churchyard (old or new part) that match's the picture. Certainly not with gravestones against a wall. The only wall with similar brickwork is flat topped and is tight to the wall of the Crown Pub, which has a brick out building, that would be in the left of the picture but isn't. I can be pretty sure the photo was not taken in St Mary's  at Upchurch. I have spoken with a couple of longer term residents and they do not recall a tree trunk cut into a seat either. Hopefully the GTP can be resolved :)

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #8455 on: May 22, 2023, 09:24:58 AM »
Yes, I did know that but seeing as that kind of spire is quite rare,I wanted to avoid any reference to it.
"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.