Author Topic: Guess the Place  (Read 1040464 times)

Offline John Walker

Re: Guess the Place
« Reply #7233 on: September 02, 2022, 09:45:51 AM »
The storage tanks still exist but have new cladding.

Offline John Walker

« Reply #7232 on: September 01, 2022, 10:45:30 PM »
We've been close to this location a few times fairly recently.

Offline John Walker

« Reply #7231 on: September 01, 2022, 09:11:37 PM »
The old depot at Aylesford, by the level crossing?

Not there JohnFilmer. I believe that was a Shell depot for domestic and small commercial deliveries.

Offline Stewie

« Reply #7230 on: September 01, 2022, 12:53:08 PM »
Lido Complex :

I did a full tour of the site in the mid 1990's. The structure is soaked with metal rot and blown concrete.In my view, beyond saving.There has been a history of so called redevelopments schemes and disputes.
The Winter Gardens will now follow the same route.

Many thanks for all the information about the Cliftonville Lido, that was a really interesting exchange of information, especially about the circular building for the bathing machines. I do remember that on our Margate to Broadstairs walk we both thought how run down the area was with lots of signs of neglect and graffiti (though some of this was quite artistic). I had always thought that Cliftonville was the 'posh' area of Margate!. 

Offline johnfilmer

• Administrator
« Reply #7229 on: September 01, 2022, 12:42:04 PM »
The old depot at Aylesford, by the level crossing?
Illegitimus nil carborundum

Offline John Walker

« Reply #7228 on: September 01, 2022, 12:04:33 AM »
Isle of Grain Refinery? Now Thamesport Container Terminal?

Not there Beachbum but it's likely this vehicle collected fuel from the Isle of Grain.

Offline Beachbum

« Reply #7227 on: August 31, 2022, 11:40:48 PM »
Isle of Grain Refinery? Now Thamesport Container Terminal?

Offline John Walker

« Reply #7226 on: August 31, 2022, 11:32:23 PM »
Right - here we go. Your next GTP.

Where is this and what is there now ?

Offline Beachbum

« Reply #7225 on: August 31, 2022, 08:39:30 PM »
Lido Complex :

I did a full tour of the site in the mid 1990's. The structure is soaked with metal rot and blown concrete.In my view, beyond saving.There has been a history of so called redevelopments schemes and disputes.
The Winter Gardens will now follow the same route.

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #7224 on: August 31, 2022, 04:00:20 PM »
I said I was researching, well this is the latest information that I have found.  The owners, Stour Side Investments/Stour Side Developments went into administration during July 2017.  As of 2021 the administrators, Duff & Phelps, are considering a sale of the whole site.  The administration will come to an end on 11 July 2023 and it appears that a company has paid a £25,000 deposit for a fixed price option.

There is a voluntary organisation, "Save the Lido" who have been clearing rubbish from the site (by the ton) and have organised laser mapping of the whole complex, including the underground sections which was completed by Thanet Council.  This was during 2020, apparently they were unable to access the site during 2021.  Their work was funded by a £44,000 from the Coastal Revival Fund.

Also in October 2021 a large hole in the carpark adjacent to the sea wall has appeared.

In summary, some people are trying to preserve the site, some people are hoping to develop it, the council is interested, BUT it's all tied up in administration.

Offline John Walker

« Reply #7223 on: August 31, 2022, 02:18:51 PM »
That's a shame MartinR.  I can foresee the deterioration continuing.

I'll put the next GTP up this evening.

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
« Reply #7222 on: August 31, 2022, 10:58:20 AM »
The official listing is for "REMAINS OF THE CLIFTON BATHS AT CLIFTONVILLE LIDO, ETHELBERT TERRACE".
The surviving parts of the Clifton Baths are designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
  • Constructed between 1824-28 this is one of the earliest surviving seawater bathing establishments in the country, only two listed examples being earlier in date, both of which were later converted to residential accommodation.
  • The lower reservoir is probably the earliest surviving seawater plunge bath in the country;
  • The circular chamber and bathing machine tunnel of the Clifton Baths are the only known examples of purpose-built structures built to store bathing machines and convey them to the beach;
  • The Clifton Baths is the only known example of a sea bathing establishment which was dug out of the cliffs, altering the existing topography.
The nightclub was constructed before the remains were listed (1962 vs 2008) and I doubt that anyone would be looking to protect the nightclub specific features, only the historic Clifton Baths fabric.  AFAIK there are no preservation/restoration/access plans ATM, the owners are just not allowed to damage the remains.

Offline John Walker

« Reply #7221 on: August 31, 2022, 10:24:09 AM »
An interesting thread.  Do you know what the state of the Hades nightclub is now Beachbum?  I would hope some work has been carried out if its listed.

Next GTP coming up when this thread has finished  :)

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
« Reply #7220 on: August 31, 2022, 09:27:39 AM »
The dome was originally freestanding and 33' high which protruded above ground level.  This was truncated during the 1920s reconstruction of the site.  The gallery and stairs date fropm 1962, but I have no information about the two concrete piers and the girders supporting the roof.  I suspect that they are from the 1920s, but on the other hand they seem to be as one with the platform.

Offline Beachbum

« Reply #7219 on: August 31, 2022, 12:32:45 AM »
A better view of the Dome.......