Author Topic: Guess the Place  (Read 1040907 times)

Offline Beachbum

Re: Guess the Place
« Reply #7193 on: August 27, 2022, 11:59:27 PM »
Yes, it's Coastal

Online MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #7192 on: August 27, 2022, 11:38:47 PM »
Coastal?

Offline Beachbum

« Reply #7191 on: August 27, 2022, 11:22:17 PM »
Thank you CAT.  I had looked for that second Castle and moved on, but then concentrated on the Church.

The next one for you is an entrance to England's first development of ?
Good Rail links here....

Offline johnfilmer

• Administrator
« Reply #7190 on: August 27, 2022, 10:42:51 PM »
I’m pleased to say that my instinct was right. My grandfathers uncle Walter was the village saddle and harness maker for about 50years until his death in 1927. The house in front of the church, viewed from the square is his home, named Clements Cottage for him.

Some years ago we went on a company dinner that was held in the “old” castle keep, time and alcohol limit my memory of the event...
Illegitimus nil carborundum

Offline CAT

« Reply #7189 on: August 27, 2022, 10:29:22 PM »
You have it Beachbum and a very concise answer. It was constructed as a mausoleum for the Colebroke family, whose remains were housed in a series of chambers built into the thickness of the walls radiating from a central circular room dressed with decorative columns. When demolished, their remains were interred in a subterranean vault in the churchyard.

With regards to the two castles MartinR, most people regard the castle as the later earlier seventeenth century house and gardens. However, very close by is an unusual hexagonal early Norman keep on an earthen mote built over the remains of an earlier stone building.

I think you have it Beachbum.

Online MartinR

• Administrator
« Reply #7188 on: August 27, 2022, 09:10:29 PM »
That's where I was looking Beachbum.  It is described by Hasted as having: "there was a chantry on the north side, now pulled down, with a transept, all covered with tile ... and on the north side, probably where the old chantry above-mentioned was, is a circular mausoleum, with a cupola at top, built by the Colebrooke family for their use".¹  However I could only find one castle in the village.

The church is located at:
  • Nat Grid:     TR 06889 53653
  • Post Code:  CT4 8BY
  • WGS84:      51°14'40"N, 0°57'46"E or 51.2445,0.96282
Additional information:
¹ Hasted, Edward. The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent. Vol. VII. Canterbury, 1800. http://www.british-history.ac.uk/survey-kent/vol7/pp263-292 

Offline Beachbum

« Reply #7187 on: August 27, 2022, 08:28:36 PM »
The circular mausoleum topped with a cupola built by the Colebrooke family for their use.

Offline Beachbum

« Reply #7186 on: August 27, 2022, 08:23:30 PM »
St. Mary's Church at Chilham?

Offline CAT

« Reply #7185 on: August 27, 2022, 02:26:45 PM »
It might be on the site of a previous chantry chapel MartinR, but this circular building wasn't one as such, though burials were installed within. There was also another rectangular chapel on the southern side of this church's chancel also, which was subsequently remodelled into a typical chapel. The nature of this circular structure has its origins back in the mists of time about 2500 years ago, though this one was built towards the end of the eighteenth century.

The village this church is in is a typical 'manorial' settlement with castle at one end and the church at the opposite end and the site of its housing and market place in between the two. It has been called a 'failed' medieval town in the past, but today is still popular with the visitors.

Offline John Walker

« Reply #7184 on: August 26, 2022, 06:01:54 PM »
Though the circular building was regarded as a statement structure of its time, sadly the building, and its function, lasted for 180 years before being demolished and replaced by a more typical church addition. There was also another structure of similar function on the church's southern side, being commissioned by a notable Kentish family and designed by a very notable architect of his time, this also suffered the same fate as the first building and was remodelled barely 80 years after its construction.

The above with previous clues confirm that I might well be right in my guess.  Like JohnFilmer, I have had quite a few GTPs recently so would like others to take up the reins.

Online MartinR

• Administrator
« Reply #7183 on: August 26, 2022, 04:31:28 PM »
The circular structure is not a chantry chapel is it?
Edit, should that be on the site of a chantry chapel?

Offline CAT

« Reply #7182 on: August 26, 2022, 03:05:32 PM »
Though the circular building was regarded as a statement structure of its time, sadly the building, and its function, lasted for 180 years before being demolished and replaced by a more typical church addition. There was also another structure of similar function on the church's southern side, being commissioned by a notable Kentish family and designed by a very notable architect of his time, this also suffered the same fate as the first building and was remodelled barely 80 years after its construction.

Offline CAT

« Reply #7181 on: August 26, 2022, 02:00:39 PM »
Further SE(ish) than Faversham.

One of the 'castles' has frequent open days to its gardens, the other 'Castle' is strictly private and separately owned despite being intrinsically linked in history and their locations.

Offline John Walker

« Reply #7180 on: August 26, 2022, 01:45:01 PM »
I think I might have found it as well but can't find any reference to the circular building. It's not a view I'm familiar with.   Like JohnFilmer, I'll hold fire in hopes of new participants.

Offline johnfilmer

• Administrator
« Reply #7179 on: August 26, 2022, 12:10:22 PM »
Another SWAG and I think that I have it, but will hold back as I’ve been too successful lately, time for others to win.
Illegitimus nil carborundum