Author Topic: Guess the Place  (Read 1040416 times)

Offline John Walker

Re: Guess the Place
« Reply #6288 on: March 16, 2022, 10:48:52 AM »
Not Ringlestone Diapason.

DTT is nearer but it's not near the A256.

Many years ago, had it been built, this pub would have probably been underwater to some degree.

Behind the camera position is a lane and then a stream and acres of flat land with dykes.

Offline DaveTheTrain

« Reply #6287 on: March 16, 2022, 09:38:27 AM »
I will take a stab and say the Roman Site is Richborough, the coastal road could be the A256.   I will plump for somewhere near Sandwich.
DTT

Offline Diapason

« Reply #6286 on: March 16, 2022, 07:21:31 AM »
Ringlestone ??

Offline John Walker

« Reply #6285 on: March 15, 2022, 11:15:03 PM »
A pub with a landlord who didn't respect legal closing times.

Offline John Walker

« Reply #6284 on: March 15, 2022, 06:04:24 PM »
Head right from this location and you will join a busy coast road.
Continue over the coast road and you will end up at an important Roman site.

Offline John Walker

« Reply #6283 on: March 15, 2022, 09:45:24 AM »

Offline Diapason

« Reply #6282 on: March 15, 2022, 09:26:39 AM »
I can Confirm johnfilmer's post that there was a Wooden  Wesleyan Chapel on Silver Street. It is now became part of Wesley Cottage.
There was also a the Methodist Chapel shown on Diapersons Guess. which was demolished in the 1980's

The Wooden Chapel is stiil there albeit much Modified as a House.
Planning app last year:-
Wesley Cottage Silver Street Bredgar Sittingbourne Kent ME9 8ES
Listed Building Consent for refurbishment of existing residential chapel building; replacement of existing windows and doors with double glazed timber windows and doors; repair of original sash windows; replacement of original shutters, new internal ground floor partition in cottage, and installation of Solar PV panels to garage roof,

Diapersons photo is of the second Methodist chapel at Bredgar. The first wooden one still stands in Silver Street as part of Wesley Cottage.
By 1868 funds had been raised to build a large brick chapel a little further up Silver Street, on the opposite side, where there was seating for 200. Faced with red brick it had a steeply pitched roof of Welsh slate.
Sadly, in 1987, the brick built chapel was sold. The congregation had dwindled to a regular three, May Ingram, Winnie Hadlow and Eve Barton and the building was in poor repair. The last preacher at the chapel was Brian Davis. The chapel was then demolished and dated bricks from it were affixed to a wall inside Sittingbourne Methodist Church. 

Thanks for the information granderog, I didn`t know that there was a previous chapel. The three names that you mentioned would have been known to my parents and the last preacher, Brian Davies, I have known for many years although I haven`t seen him lately. I believe he is still active at Hartlip Methodist Church.

Offline shoot999

« Reply #6281 on: March 15, 2022, 08:43:46 AM »
Rural? Mid Kent?

Offline John Walker

« Reply #6280 on: March 15, 2022, 08:18:25 AM »
A place with a quirky history.

Offline John Walker

« Reply #6279 on: March 14, 2022, 11:15:01 PM »
Thanks Diapason.  It was a lucky guess in the true spirit of GTP.  :)

Next one:   What and where.  This was the view about 12 years ago.  Much tidier now.

Offline grandarog

• Mr
  • Man of Kent .Born and Bred.
« Reply #6278 on: March 14, 2022, 11:29:19 AM »
I can Confirm johnfilmer's post that there was a Wooden  Wesleyan Chapel on Silver Street. It is now became part of Wesley Cottage.
There was also a the Methodist Chapel shown on Diapersons Guess. which was demolished in the 1980's

The Wooden Chapel is stiil there albeit much Modified as a House.
Planning app last year:-
Wesley Cottage Silver Street Bredgar Sittingbourne Kent ME9 8ES
Listed Building Consent for refurbishment of existing residential chapel building; replacement of existing windows and doors with double glazed timber windows and doors; repair of original sash windows; replacement of original shutters, new internal ground floor partition in cottage, and installation of Solar PV panels to garage roof,

Diapersons photo is of the second Methodist chapel at Bredgar. The first wooden one still stands in Silver Street as part of Wesley Cottage.
[/size]By 1868 funds had been raised to build a large brick chapel a little further up Silver Street, on the opposite side, where there was seating for 200. Faced with red brick it had a steeply pitched roof of Welsh slate.[/color][/size]
Sadly, in 1987, the brick built chapel was sold. The congregation had dwindled to a regular three, May Ingram, Winnie Hadlow and Eve Barton and the building was in poor repair. The last preacher at the chapel was Brian Davis. The chapel was then demolished and dated bricks from it were affixed to a wall inside Sittingbourne Methodist Church. 

[/color]

Offline johnfilmer

• Administrator
« Reply #6277 on: March 14, 2022, 07:54:20 AM »
My knowledge of Bredgar in the 60s and early 70s was mainly confined to the interior of The Sun.

However a quick check on nls maps and there is a Methodist Chapel marked on Silver Street.

On GSV there is a footpath sign, adjacent to a very ecclesiastical boundary wall corner. The other side of a newish house is another corner post. Maple Dean.

The footpath is on the 1898 6inch map that shows the Chapel. So you are right, Silver Street it was.
Illegitimus nil carborundum

Offline Diapason

« Reply #6276 on: March 14, 2022, 07:19:52 AM »
Spot on, JW.

Although I know the [size=78%] [/size]area quite well, I still cannot `pinpoint` the exact location of the church which I believe was on Silver Street. Perhaps Granderog can help?

Over to you!

Offline John Walker

« Reply #6275 on: March 13, 2022, 07:08:51 PM »
Bredgar ?

Offline Diapason

« Reply #6274 on: March 13, 2022, 04:18:07 PM »
Yes, a Methodist Church, JW

Wrong side of the M2, MartinR.