Author Topic: The Garrow, New Barn, Longfield Kent.  (Read 3034 times)

Offline Mike Gunnill

Re: The Garrow, New Barn, Longfield Kent.
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2020, 10:56:45 AM »
Mike, there is a house called Garrow present on the 1961 OS of New Barn. Now replaced by a cul-de-sac named called Garrow, the house is no longer present. However, looking at later maps it seems it was still there until at least the early 80's.

Thanks Smiffy, I hadn't seen that! Doesn't point to a bomb destroying the house in 1941 then!

Very grateful

Mike

I found that Dartford Reference Library had a file on every WW2 incident in their part of Kent. From this I found that the "bombing" was in 1944 and not 1941 as previously reported. The report sad 'first aid" repairs were carried out on 12 seriously damaged homes and provided a map reference. This helped to confirm I had the right day/year.

Mike
Mike Gunnill

< One Day More >

Offline Mike Gunnill

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 09:41:17 AM »
Mike, there is a house called Garrow present on the 1961 OS of New Barn. Now replaced by a cul-de-sac named called Garrow, the house is no longer present. However, looking at later maps it seems it was still there until at least the early 80's.

Thanks Smiffy, I hadn't seen that! Doesn't point to a bomb destroying the house in 1941 then!

Very grateful

Mike
Mike Gunnill

< One Day More >

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2020, 09:55:42 PM »

Offline Mike Gunnill

The Garrow, New Barn, Longfield Kent.
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 07:26:20 PM »
Does anyone have any personal knowledge of a house called, The Garrow in New Barn near Longfield, Kent?

In 1941 the house was destroyed by, what was described locally as a bomb. The house was never rebuilt and owner moved to America. There is an estate off New Barn Road built in fairly modern times, around 1980-1990's. I wonder if this was the site of the house?

Searched online and waiting for the local parish council to reply. I would like further detail and if possible a photograph. I have been told there are lots of made-up tales and stories about the "bomb" so I am not keen to add to the fake-news. Just trying to find out the facts.

Grateful for any help as usual please!

Still, keep safe.

Thx Mike
Mike Gunnill

< One Day More >