Author Topic: Tunstall Sign  (Read 1651 times)

Offline grandarog

• Mr
  • Man of Kent .Born and Bred.
Re: Tunstall Sign
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2021, 06:24:26 PM »
Quite Right Dave the Train.
During one of her tours of her realm,Queen Elizabeth spent the night at Grove End as a Guest of Sir William Cromer during September 1573.Before she left she gave a Charter to Sittingbourne for the hospitality shown to her and her Retinue. It allowed a Weekly Market and an Annual Fair.A new bell was cast for the Tunstall Church in honour of the Queens visit. The village has always been proud because she visited. There are various legends as to why no Pub or Shops allowed but none conclusive.
Both my Maternal and Paternal Grandparents lived in Grove End .It was split into 2 Dwellings. My dad (the little boy)and his siblings on the fence.

Offline DaveTheTrain

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2021, 01:29:33 PM »
When I lived in Tunstall in the early 2000's someone told me that Queen Elizabeth I had visited Tunstall and was much taken with it, and thought the villagers benefitted from no pub.  And thus it has been like that since then.  It may just be a fanciful story, but I certainly missed a pub.

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2021, 12:04:11 PM »
I thought that the unofficial definition of a village was that it had a church and a pub.  Any less than that and it is only a hamlet.

Offline grandarog

• Mr
  • Man of Kent .Born and Bred.
Tunstall Sign
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2021, 12:02:01 PM »
Erected in the Millennium year. Commemorates the Village with no Shops or Pubs.