Aviation History > Airfields

RFC Joyce Green HELP!

(1/2) > >>

castle261:
I wrote about this on the other site.

At Lashenden - ( Headcorn ) airfield museum - there was a piloted V1 flying Bomb - on display.
This type of aircraft was fitted with a pilot area - where a woman a pilot steered it - after  it
veered off course - a few times. Only six in the world survived - Video - of V1.
That was a few year ago - may not be there - at the moment - inquire.

epsom:

As a lad I remember walking out this way to see the remains of the airfield buildings. If I remember correctly there was a tail of a German airplane from ww2 was buried in the area of the isolation hospital where it had crashed but memory fails me further I did visit the hospital when it was being pulled down and most of it was buried due to the risk of smallpox etc but I have not been out there for years.
Epsom
--- Quote from: mmitch on April 23, 2020, 10:43:49 AM ---
When I first visited Joyce Green hospital (about 55 years ago now!) The 'Isolation hospital' was beyond the main site that had a ring road round it. It was a big hospital.
There was also a farm which supplied milk etc to the hospitals! There was straw soaked in disinfectant that I drove over as barrier against foot and mouth.

mmitch.

--- End quote ---

mmitch:

When I first visited Joyce Green hospital (about 55 years ago now!) The 'Isolation hospital' was beyond the main site that had a ring road round it. It was a big hospital.
There was also a farm which supplied milk etc to the hospitals! There was straw soaked in disinfectant that I drove over as barrier against foot and mouth.

mmitch.

Longpockets:

--- Quote from: mmitch on April 21, 2020, 11:06:28 AM ---Just a note in case anyone else is interested. There were a few graves at Joyce Green from the RFC/RAF days.
--- End quote ---

Are these them ?

These are listed as DARTFORD CEMETERY (RFC/RAF Joyce Green Burials) see here http://www.kentfallen.com/PDF%20REPORTS/RAF%20JOYCE%20GREEN%20DARTFORD.pdf From Kent Fallen web site.

If they are, they are on the CWGC website as Dartford (Watling Street) Cemetery[size=1.5rem][/size]

mmitch:

I read the inscription several years ago and that is what I read it as. The site is mainly housing now. It did stand very overgrown for some time so I expect the graves would have been lost.
mmitch.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version