General Kent History Stuff > Domestic and Residential Buildings

The Homestead - Walderslade Manor

<< < (2/2)

CAT:
Official description of the building The Homestead from the Listed building register for Listed Building: Grade II 1268217

House. Mid C17, altered mid C19. Flint rubble plinth and rendered brick, brick right-hand gable and C20 left-hand lateral stacks, and a tiled roof. PLAN: 2-room plan with heated right-hand hall-kitchen and originally unheated service room to left. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, cellar [/color]and attic; 2-window range. Left-of-centre doorway and half-glazed door, blocked right-hand doorway, with a brick band all round partly cut back; timber mullion windows, left-hand ground-floor 2-light and first-floor 3-light, right-hand ground-floor 3-light and first-floor 4-light, mid C19 casements. Right-hand gable has an open-ended lean-to. Central C17 rear stair light with ovolo mouldings. INTERIOR: contains stop chamfered ground-floor lateral and axial beams, a central rear winder stair, to a 3 1/2 bay attic with queen post roof, butt purlins and diagonal wind braces. HISTORY: a substantially complete mid C17 house, with some early use of brick and notable C17 fenestration.[/size][/font]

johnfilmer:
In the picture with the 2 storey cottage, the ground floor of the cottage looks almost as though it is a shop front. Have you found the inhabitants on censuses, their profession might give a clue.

The odd chimney stops short of the ridge, where there is already a chimney. A very strange arrangement.

Love the photos, keep posting :)

TheHomestead:
This is the oldest picture of The Homestead I can find.  As you can see the bigger house across Dargets is not there yet. So it must be taken late 1800s or very early 1900s.

Interesting that the Homestead Cottage is two-story at this time, as it is a single-story building later (c1920s).

Another interesting point in this image is what appears to be a chimney coming out of the cat-slide / lean-to roof to the right side of the building.  This is no longer there, and cannot be seen in any images later than this one.  However, there is evidence of it and a fireplace still visible now. For example, some odd rendering within the building, and brackets (wall ties?) protruding from the wall. 

TheHomestead:
A postcard from c.1920s

Note: The Homestead is slightly off center to the right of Dargets Road.  Looks like a timber-framed building (it's not), but with an attached single-story building to the left called Homestead Cottage.

Homestead Cottage was derelict and demolished in c.1970s around the same time the Homestead was grade II listed.  There is still evidence of the homestead cottage around The Homestead.  For example, a blocked-up doorway, which might still lead to a cellar under the current neighbour's garden.

TheHomestead:
Hi all,

I currently live in The Homestead in Waldersalde and I want to ensure the history and significance of the building is known and remembered by anyone who cares.

In the grand scheme of things in life, and the massive quantity of history Kent has, the building is just a small part; some might say not even worth mentioning.  But I care and would love to find out and share as much as I can.

I have joined this forum to share some history and pictures, as I gather them.  If anyone has memories or additional photos to share please do.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version