Industry > Mills

Newlands Horizontal Windmill, Westerham

(1/3) > >>

Smiffy:
Some information and a picture of the Battersea Mill:

https://www.fivenine.co.uk/family_history_notebook/background/Battersea%20Flour%20Mills/bolingbroke_horizontal_windmill.html

CAT:
A contemporary view of Hooper's Mill, Margate c.1800

bertroid:

--- Quote from: Smiffy on November 03, 2019, 11:37:50 PM ---That's an extraordinary sight, but as for them being 1000 years old, I think there may be a touch of the Ship of Theseus going on here :)

--- End quote ---

Certainly not suggesting that what you see is original, in any way, and about 20 years ago they were restored, and apparently now under threat again.

They've been there a thousand years, and scheduled a world heritage site.  Some mud dating etc.  I would guess they've been renewed dozens of times over that time, but let's not forget Persian records were a lot better than ours back then.   ;)

Smiffy:
That's an extraordinary sight, but as for them being 1000 years old, I think there may be a touch of the Ship of Theseus going on here :)

bertroid:

To explain where Captain Hooper got his idea from, we can look at one of the places which the old seafarer visited. 1000 year old horizontal mills still survive and work in Iran, but at a much gentler pace!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version