Author Topic: ` First `  (Read 6224 times)

pete.mason

Re: ` First `
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2020, 02:14:30 PM »
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cash_carrier  I remember the "Rapid Wire" type systems used in the local (Hurst Hill) Co-op in the early 1960s.  As well as any change the return package included the "divvy" sticker which was applied to Mum's book.

The Lampson cash Railway, There is one in Faversham musuem and they donated  me parts to restore one in Newhaven Museum, Lovely clunk sound. Loder & Paynes or Henry Paynes in Bank St Maidstone had sets too into the 1970s

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2020, 12:38:55 PM »
Definitely remember DiMarco's - the Knickerbocker Glory was also 2/6. I can't remember Terenzy's although I can remember Mum talking about them - weren't they in Church street?

The overhead wire-pull system was also used in Featherstones - downstairs they had a pneumatic tube system, I sometime wonder if it is still there.

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2020, 10:26:21 AM »
Ah yes Di Marco, their banana split @ 2 shillings & sixpence - I could`nt eat it all - Later Terenze`s
The memories come flooding back. Paine`s toy shop, had a cash pulley system in High St. Chatham.

Online MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2020, 08:48:47 AM »
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cash_carrier  I remember the "Rapid Wire" type systems used in the local (Hurst Hill) Co-op in the early 1960s.  As well as any change the return package included the "divvy" sticker which was applied to Mum's book.

Offline Colin walsh

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2020, 11:31:14 PM »
Thanks for the trip down memory lane re the photos,had a couple of favorite shops in the "old"high street,1:-De Marcos tea shop,best ice cream Sunday's in Chatham ,allways crowded  even up stairs ,the other being a toy/school clothing shop,think it was Laing,or pains not to certain,but I think it had a sister shop in strood every cristmas it put on a wonderfull show of the latest toys,can't recall the number of times I stood glued to the window making my " wish list"while mum shoped in"Woolis"
Strange Overhead system of payment in shop,mony put in a container then sent whizzing of to come back with the change,if any,

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2019, 08:21:17 PM »
Yes, I can remember it being quite enjoyable walking up and down Chatham high street. Today - not so much.

Offline shoot999

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2019, 03:20:48 PM »
Similar view. And how I remember it from the 60s. Seems within a short space of time all the gents outfitters with crusty old servers were replaced by boutiques and dolly birds. I remember this part of Chatham would be thriving on a Saturday with teens spending on clothes and records. Pirate radio broadcasting from every shop front. Happy carefree days :)

Offline castle261

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2019, 02:15:14 PM »
Thats just as it was -- pre Pentagon days.

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2019, 01:12:24 PM »
Carters was an outfitters - you can see part of it on the left side of this photo from 1948:

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 07:47:53 PM »
What did the shop sell?
"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

Offline castle261

` First `
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 06:52:10 PM »
I worked in a shop `George Carters ` next to Woolworth. in Chatham High Street.
Their claim to fame is that ` their shop in Peckham London, always got the result of the `Derby`
before anybody else `. ( jockey with headphones ) ?