Author Topic: Coronavirus. 2020  (Read 30365 times)

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
Re: Coronavirus. 2020
« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2020, 08:50:47 AM »
So how is everybody doing? What are we all doing to keep ourselves occupied during the lock down?

I'm fortunate enough to be a key worker, working as I do in the sewage and drainage industry. That said, I'm off work at the moment, taking some Annual Leave I booked months ago. We were originally going to go away for the week in our caravan, but that wasn't going to happen once the lock down was announced. I'm keeping myself occupied in my workshop but I'm almost out of scrap timber to make things out of. Walking the dog takes up an hour or two of the day and researching the (very long) career of HMS Royal William (1671 - 1813).

When this is all over, my wife and I intend to take the grandchildren away in the caravan for a few days to give my daughter and son in law some time to take a breather.

Back to work after Easter.....
"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2020, 10:22:42 AM »
See http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2020/7/contents for the full act which became law on 25 March.  However note that a lot of the provisions are enabling provisions that permit ministers to make orders (as Statutory Instruments) which contain the fine detail.  See http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi?title=Coronavirus for a list of SIs mentioning "Coronavirus".

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2020, 12:01:42 AM »
From what I can gather the bill is already law as the Coronavirus Act 2020. The bill was introduced to Parliament on 19 March and received the Royal Assent on 25 March. The link has now vanished anyway for some reason ???

bertroid

« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2020, 04:21:53 PM »
Everyone should take a look at this. In some ways it's more of a threat than the virus.

https://www.change.org/p/uk-parliament-reverse-the-dangerous-coronavirus-bill-hc-bill-122-rushed-through-parliament-last-week

Not concerned about it too much, as there won't be a sitting parliament for six months to debate it...

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2020, 09:37:14 PM »
Everyone should take a look at this. In some ways it's more of a threat than the virus.

https://www.change.org/p/uk-parliament-reverse-the-dangerous-coronavirus-bill-hc-bill-122-rushed-through-parliament-last-week

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2020, 11:41:56 AM »
I have just received my food tray from the `Government`--- via --- `Brakes`.
Quite an assortment -- bag of potato`s - carrot`s - small oranges - rice 2 - prunes 1- corn beef 1
soups 4 - apples 5 - carton of milk 1 - tin beans 3 - tin chop tomatoes 1 - tin tuna 1 - bread 1
tin tomato sauce 1 - corn flakes big pkt 1 - peas 1 tin ----------- All left on my doorstep at 7.00 am +

I forgot - toilet rolls 2 - just found them - a bag of tea bags - coffee - small snacks + facial soap 3.

A kindly thought --- Thank You -  All from the Government

Offline Colin walsh

« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2020, 02:27:40 AM »
Ref lock down,my church ST Andrews Wraysbury  ,is closed as ordered ,the  vicar puts out a daily blog on u tube,we had a very active contribution to a local food bank,now stopped ,plus a clothing collection point ,so my request is please all you lovly fourum members, if possible ,please by something extra if you can for your local food bank,it's got nothing to do with your religious beliefs ,just pure humanity,yes I agree there are those who exploit charreties ,but there are those who genuinely need help,from past expereance on the"old"fourum "I know the goodness of you guys runs deep.so please if you can afford it ,give,thank you

Offline Lutonman

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2020, 07:57:35 PM »
Lutonman, my dad runs The Bridge Baptist Church, based in the Sunlight Centre in Gillingham. They made the decision to close and conduct their meetings and services electronically a couple of weeks ago. Also, being 77 years of age, he's locked himself away, communicating with friends and family via WhatsApp and Facetime.

Stuartwaters, Yes many churches are managing electronically we have quite a number in their 80's so they are stuck at home and not familiar with mobiles let alone whats app etc. They are just relying on phone calls and friends getting their shopping. Local Morrisons seems to be easing but still significant gaps on the shelves like eggs, tinned products & frozen veg.

Offline grandarog

• Mr
  • Man of Kent .Born and Bred.
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2020, 06:12:04 PM »
Glad to see the panic buying has died down a bit now. Went to Morrisons Sittingbourne this morning. No queue ,Trolley handle wiped with cleanser. Civilised shopping in the isles folks keeping distance most of the time. Got nearly all the goods required No shortage of Toilet Rolls ,Bread, Milk ,Meat ,Veg and Fruit . No Soap bars at all or only a few pasta products. Otherwise most shelves well stocked. Wont need to shop there for another month .Stay safe all of you.  :)

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2020, 01:45:20 PM »
Lutonman, my dad runs The Bridge Baptist Church, based in the Sunlight Centre in Gillingham. They made the decision to close and conduct their meetings and services electronically a couple of weeks ago. Also, being 77 years of age, he's locked himself away, communicating with friends and family via WhatsApp and Facetime.
"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

Offline Lutonman

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2020, 07:29:44 PM »

I'd also add my old mates in the Gas Industry, they have reduced numbers and on emergency footing to make sure that they can turn out to gas leaks and CO matters. On top of that I have had to callout a plumber today after a pipe sprung a leak.
Many different people carry on as best they can to keep vital services running all behind the scenes.

Our Church has had to close but we are using zoom and whats app to keep in touch especially with a lot of elderly who are very lonely and in need of shopping, prescriptions picked up  and so on.

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2020, 12:33:18 PM »
Well done for mentioning the cleaners Stuart.  It's so easy to assume that only doctors and nurses are required to run hospitals.  You can also add in the catering staff, without whom the staff and patients would die of starvation!

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2020, 12:15:37 PM »
My daughter is a Clinical Sister at Medway Maritime, no different from any other nurse, male or female, maybe she is only special to her family and me, but I am so proud of her, the lady is working long hours for less than two thirds of the pay of a good brickie, not that I have anything against brick layers, not everyone has Christian beliefs. I don't have a problem with that, but to those who do believe, l ask please will you pray for all nursing staff who are our front line against this pandemic. Wishing all you guys the best of health.

Well said Colin. I'm an Atheist myself, but I have nothing but admiration for those in the caring professions who daily put their health and potentially, lives, on the line to continue giving vital care to those who need it. Indeed, the same goes for all those in vital jobs. Doctors, nurses, those who look after the IT services which help us stay in touch with loved ones, those who keep the water and sewage flowing, the lights on and the shelves in the shops as full as possible. For those people who need to go out to receive essential services, the cleaners who keep those places safe and clean.

Offline Colin walsh

« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2020, 09:53:06 PM »
My daughter is a Clinical Sister at Medway Maritime, no different from any other nurse, male or female, maybe she is only special to her family and me, but I am so proud of her, the lady is working long hours for less than two thirds of the pay of a good brickie, not that I have anything against brick layers, not everyone has Christian beliefs. I don't have a problem with that, but to those who do believe, l ask please will you pray for all nursing staff who are our front line against this pandemic. Wishing all you guys the best of health.

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2020, 08:57:01 PM »
I went out my front door to clap the N.H.S & Carers at 8-00 pm, I have been a out patient 
of a hospital, twice this year. I received very good treatment, from the doctors & nurses.