Author Topic: Men of Kent or Kentish Men  (Read 1461 times)

Offline AlanTH

Re: Men of Kent or Kentish Men
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2022, 10:29:25 AM »
I must admit I can't remember the names of most of the pubs I've been in anywhere..... One I stayed in for a while in Bradford (pronounced "Bratford" by the locals :) ) was called the Metropole Hotel for some reason or other but was just a back street old boozer. Run by a Polish bloke and his wife a Hull girl.
Many others including a favourite in Scarborough was the Fleur de Lis. Yet another in Shrewsbury was the Castle Fields but at least it was near to a castle..... I think it was anyway from long distant memory.
Anyway, does it really matter? I'm a Man of Kent whatever anyone else says or what's on a pub sign.
Cheers all. :)
AlanH. 

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2022, 03:12:40 PM »
Think how many "Marquis of Granby" pubs there are outside Leicestershire, Derbyshire and Rutland.  I know there is a reason for that, but why are the "Prospect of Whitby"  and the "Town of Ramsgate" in Wapping, London?

Offline Invicta Alec

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2022, 02:39:27 PM »
Brewers can and do call their pubs anything they like. Whether they have any real attachment or relevance to the local area or not doesn't matter.

Yes, of course they can but I think many are named with relevance to the local area. I wonder how many "Yorkshire Rose" pubs there are in Lancashire for example!?
Either way my original comment was somewhat light hearted and probably only serves to show that this Man of Kent /Kentish Man thing is just an old curiosity of little worth.

Alec.

Offline AlanTH

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2022, 09:51:41 AM »
Brewers can and do call their pubs anything they like. Whether they have any real attachment or relevance to the local area or not doesn't matter. Not that I give a stuff what they call them, I go in them for other reasons.... :)
AlanH.

PS. I should say I did go in them for other reasons but as I've lived in Oz for 50 years I suppose that's not relevant either. :)

Offline Invicta Alec

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2022, 08:59:50 PM »

Should be easy to settle, let the pubs sort it out I thought ....... BUT there is a Man of Kent pub in Tonbridge and another in East Peckham.
I wouldn't describe either of them being east of the Medway!! Check 'em out on Google maps!

Alec.

Offline AlanTH

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2022, 10:03:56 AM »
I've always thought anyone like myself born on the Rochester side of the river was a "Man of Kent", not a bit Kentish. That's reserved for that lot born in Strood and other strange places. I'll keep telling others that's what I am regardless of what "experts" say. :)
I missed being born in Yorkshire by about 3 months for which they should be truly thankful as I'm no good at cricket anyway. Mum was evacuated to Sheffield in around June 1944 with me in her arms.
AlanH.. 

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
Men of Kent or Kentish Men
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2022, 05:22:16 PM »
Something I was reading the other day suggested that people born in Rochester, Chatham or Gillingham were counted with the Kentish Men west of the river rather than the Men of Kent east of the same.  Can anyone shed some reliable light on this?  My two sons were born in Chatham and Gillingham, so I've always told them that they were Men of Kent.
Of course I should have done what some cricket lovers have done in the past and put my pregnant wife in the back of the car and tried to make Yorkshire, but she wouldn't let me.  I wonder why? ;D