Author Topic: New Members ?  (Read 2527 times)

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
Re: New Members ?
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2022, 07:12:31 PM »
I'm no poet, but I totally get the concern so eloquently expressed. I'd like nothing more than to see more contributions. I appreciate that people have limited time on their hands and that researching and writing articles is time consuming.

Personally, I have little free time these days. With bills constantly rising, I'm having to spend more time at work than I'd like and I know I'm not alone in this. If I were to run a program in the background which would delete all the members who have never posted, I'd lay money on there not being many left at the end of it.

For example, just recently, my wife and I have finished binge-watching "The Last Kingdom" on Netflix. This excellent TV show is set against the historical background of the rise of Alfred the Great and Edward the Elder and the wars against the Vikings. Although many of the central characters are fictional, many of them were real people involved in real events in latter Anglo-Saxon history. A bit of casual research led me to realise the important role the Kentish Saxons played in the struggles of Alfred and Edward to realise their dream of a united England. It might even lead me down a new road away from the delights of researching the ships, men and events of Nelsons Navy.

There's an absolute shed-load of history in our County which in this connected era, we often don't need to get out of the arm-chair to research. The Romans launched their conquest of Britannia from our County. Parts of our County are amongst the longest-inhabited parts of our nation as evidenced by the number of Iron-Age monuments (such as Kits Coty). Another example - Watling Street, running from Dover to the Isle of Anglesey in Wales is older than British history itself. The Romans didn't build it, it was already here when they arrived; all they did was pave and straighten it.

I could go on (and on and on) but I won't......
"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
New Members ?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2022, 11:52:27 AM »
I see new members popping up - everywhere
Where do they ago to - I do say in - dispair
They must have a story that needs to be told
Why not put pen to paper - go on be so bold

So use your computer - then tell us the story
Of what happened then - that was so so gory
We all have something makes us laugh or cry
Go on now press that key & you give it a try.