Author Topic: New Members ?  (Read 2528 times)

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
Re: New Members ?
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2022, 04:01:14 PM »
You go ahead and start whatever threads you like. The field of history I find most fascinating is what is now called "social history" - the study of the actions, thoughts and beliefs of ordinary people.

Too often, history becomes too concerned about the big ticket stuff and forgets the people involved. An example of this is the revisionist history around slavery, with historical figures becoming "cancelled" or reviled. That is unfair. Famous historical figures were men and women of their time and probably didn't give two hoots about the issue. This was because nobody cared. It went on, it might have been disapproved of by people, but it went on and because it didn't affect their lives, they didn't care. That doesn't make them bad people, they were people of their time. It's grossly unfair to judge long-dead people by todays moral standards.

Similarly, Royal or noble or Upper class marriages. These were often political and loveless. Once the poor unfortunately couple had produced an heir and a spare or two, they were effectively free to do as they pleased with who they liked, as long as they were discreet about it and kept up appearances. This attitude changed with King George III and Queen Charlotte, who did fall in love and were faithful to each other their entire adult lives. This was despite theirs being an arranged, political marriage and them meeting for the first time on their wedding day.

What I find more interesting is how it was that Mrs Mary Ross managed to run a successful shipbuilding enterprise on being widowed in a male-dominated world. How did she make a sprawling Government department like the Navy Board take her seriously when tendering for contracts for new warships for the Royal Navy in a field riddled with corruption and nepotism. Let's not forget that Mrs Ross was not the only female shipyard owner in our County. Mrs Frances Barnard successfully ran one of the world's largest shipyards at more or less the same time.

So, yes, write your posts from memory. Detail your childhood and early adulthood experiences. If you don't, they will be lost forever. In 50 years time, we might all be cast as evil because we sat back and tolerated the mass slaughter of sentient beings for meat. Something we don't think twice about now when we munch on a bacon sarnie, much as our ancestors bought a pound of sugar 200 years ago without thinking of how and by whom it was produced.
"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

Offline Lutonman

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2022, 10:32:25 AM »
Would it be worth starting a thread on schools? I was an old Chatham Tech schoolboy in the 60's, if there are any others out there we could share some history of those days. I was around when we moved away from the Luton Arches property. Need to start a new thread if there is interest.

Offline Bill Jones

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2022, 08:54:13 AM »
I had joined the SE forum and didnt feel welcome as I could not contribute much. It is all graves and airplanes. But it is good to read sometimes. I messaged people on there and was given welcomes, and John and kyn were nice. On here I feel more welcome from all the members but every post is guess the place. I look at the boards that have only a topic or post or 2 and it makes me wonder if this forum has a future? I wish I could help!! And you dont ask for money which is nice lol. As I like to say to friends- have a coconut  8)

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2022, 07:43:54 AM »
The Boss has spoken from the`Drains`
his deeds are `gospel` when it rains
the stories he could tell, as he vets
his time s at a premium `on the net`

Yet he does`care` as it is well known
from `a line here & there, has grown
so all you members who look in new
make him happy with `a tale or two.

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2022, 08:09:54 PM »
I have a couple of topics that are part finished, just got to find the time to write  it all up without upsetting the other half by spending hours at the computer!

I feel your pain.....
"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

Online johnfilmer

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2022, 06:36:00 PM »
One factor that I think should be taken into account is the sheer volume of stuff on the internet. It can seem almost counter productive to research a topic and put it onto a thread when anyone interested in it has probably read the same web pages as you, and may know far more about it.

In a way "Guess the Place" has a function in that places, often unknown to the poster, can be identified and some of their history found or referenced without too much deep research. I hadn't got a clue about the recent picture that I posted, just seemed an interesting building that I driven past recently. To answer questions and give clues I needed to research the history of the place.
I have a couple of topics that are part finished, just got to find the time to write  it all up without upsetting the other half by spending hours at the computer!
Illegitimus nil carborundum

Offline shoot999

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2022, 05:58:10 PM »
Not solely a unique problem for KHF but similar forums/FB pages have seen quite a decrease in traffic over the last few years. FB history pages that needed to be refreshed every few hours can go a day or two before a post, and then the post can quite often not be relevant.

I've noted a few times over the last few months that the Forum that covers the whole of the SE also struggles despite the total number of members.  In many cases barely getting 50% more traffic than we do. I checked today and the number of visitors was 21 v 32 to them, and 9 posts to 17 to them. Despite four times the members.

Notwithstanding that I have to agree with Stuart. The previous forum owner was very successful in destroying so much of KHF contributors hard work and effort  that must have a knock on effect here. She must be very proud of herself.

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2022, 05:09:11 PM »
There are a few problems here I think:

Firstly, people don't have the time or inclination to research for articles on here. I for one find myself working 12 to 16 hour days six days a week more often than not. Thank heavens I can earn extra money doing this otherwise with what's going on in the world I'd be up the Creek without a paddle financially. This leaves me with little to no spare time I can spend doing the research and writing up the notes I've made along the way. I have a few things in the pipeline, but time is an issue.

Secondly, the fate of the original Forum is still an open wound with those (including me) who put a lot of time and effort into making it what it was, a fact which the owner of that Forum chose to ignore.

Thirdly, at least one of those contributors on the old forum has found that what was a hobby can actually be lucrative and for commercial reasons choose not to contribute to this forum. I don't blame them for that. If I had the time to do the research and the inclination to get it published, I'd probably do the same.

Only another four years until I can consider retirement....

Offline castle261

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2022, 03:50:55 PM »
At one time I worked for George Carter the Tailor & Outfitter in Chatham High Street. We had F W Woolworth store on one side & British Home
Stores, on the other. That time in the 1940`s & 1950`s  the High Street was a two way road, There is a good photo of the area, in one of the
local books, at the time. Both of the big stores had cafe`s then, we used Woolworth for our coffee break then. The manager used to have his
20 minute first, then the under manager next, then me. Our fame came when the Peckham stop in London, got the Derby result by phone,
before any other, Strange that.

Offline smiler

• Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2022, 03:47:09 PM »
    I was trying to post a photo at the weekend, I havent done any for a while and couldn't work out how its done. would someone be kind enough to run me through it please.

Offline Invicta Alec

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2022, 02:32:55 PM »
I see we have reached the 200 members now. Pity there aren't more than us dozen or so active.
All those members must have something to contribute,even if only hello I'm from ,my interest is.

Currently there are exactly 200 members of the forum.
132 of them have never contributed anything.
68 members have posted (albeit a dozen of those have so only once).

Seeing the lack of contributions and in an effort to drum up more I made a topic in January 2021 asking people to write about the nearest piece of Kent history to where they lived. My idea being that by prompting people in this way that everyone would be able to contribute. From memory I think only ten people replied.
From that moment I think my interest in the forum began to wane. There have been periods of late where "Guess the place" is the only active topic for days on end.
I'm at a loss to suggest how the forum might become more vibrant once again.

Alec.

Offline John Walker

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2022, 12:00:09 PM »
I agree with all sentiments expressed so far. 

It would be so interesting to hear from new members and to see old photos of Kent appear.   I'm sure, a lot of them would enjoy joining in on the 'Guess the Place' thread.

A short piece on the area in Kent where they grew up and what it was like in the past would be of interest.

Offline castle261

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2022, 10:46:07 AM »
I know parts of Kent like the back of my hand
Now at East Kent I am at a loss i`ll be bound
Places like Deal & Sandwich I have never been
It`s to the West of the river I am to be seen.

Medway is the  the river that I know the best
With historic places placed all along it`s banks
The Stour I know of best & Canterbury City
That City have I visited many times (witty )

My tale of Xmas in that great city when my love
& I visited with relations from Canada, sang in
the choir stalls  while the Toronto relations walk
round that Cathedral. - One of those Great Times
to remember.

Offline grandarog

• Mr
  • Man of Kent .Born and Bred.
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2022, 06:30:08 PM »
I see we have reached the 200 members now. Pity there aren't more than us dozen or so active.
All those members must have something to contribute,even if only hello I'm from ,my interest is.

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2022, 09:14:54 PM »
When asked I used to say that my parents lived at the other end of the street.  Somehow I forgot to mention that I meant Watling Street!   :)