Author Topic: Back again after old computer bit the dust.  (Read 1897 times)

pete.mason

Re: Back again after old computer bit the dust.
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2021, 08:52:34 AM »
New router came, all lights on but PC showing no internet, tried it on the old pc same result . Router OK for wifi so using that. Connection is still intermittent, engineer coming this afternoon

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2021, 07:12:05 PM »
Thank you all, for your comments - appreciated.

Offline castle261

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2021, 06:58:05 PM »
My daughter fished out an old DELL monitor. I am using this, with an old XP - No problem, except it came with a installed `message ` & wants me to click on it, which I wont do. I will have to switch off
to remember the message - back in a tiff - found it - ` It said ` found NEW HARDWARE WIZARD `
` I would like to know if it is - `Harmless or Dangerous. I found a video online ` how to remove it
& it had about a dozen stages to remove it. ` not for me - a novice `.

pete.mason

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2021, 12:58:20 PM »
I'm waiting on a new router, been having intermittent service since Saturday, should be here today, hope it sorts it& I don't have to wait for Open reach

Offline Dave Smith

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2021, 11:04:11 AM »
castle261. In case you feel in need of a new monitor, "Which" latest best buy at only £99.99, is the Dell SE2219H, 22", HDMI & VGA connections.

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2021, 08:11:29 PM »
The usual thing to do with a machine that the resource hog known as Windows rejects is to change OS.  Typically a Linux desktop takes about a quarter the power and memory of the equivalent Winbox.

Offline Lutonman

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2021, 07:45:31 PM »
Welcome back Castle261, my old self build struggles on but when windows 11 comes along I guess it wont update the motherboard  and graphics card are too old. Nice to hear you back.

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2021, 09:23:09 PM »
Welcome back from me too. I have an old PC running Windows XP Service Pack 3. I've had the computer since 1998 but it's a bit like the proverbial Triggers Broom, all that's left of the original is the case. The guts have been swapped out many times. Nowadays, I use it as a print and file server because the latest motherboards won't go in it.
"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

Offline grandarog

• Mr
  • Man of Kent .Born and Bred.
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2021, 07:09:25 PM »
John Walker this is the Scorpions post you have missed.
https://kenthistoryforum.com/index.php?topic=671.0

Offline John Walker

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2021, 04:32:03 PM »
Welcome back Castle261 from me as well.

What's this about scorpions - have I missed a post?  The search for scorpions only brought this thread up.

I recall seeing a tv program where a guy was finding scorpions in wall crevices in Dover.  That was some years back.  They were a fairly harmless variety.

John

Offline Dave Smith

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2021, 04:12:34 PM »
Welcome back castle261. Glad that it was nothing more serious than a monitor failure. A bit like washing machines, when they've done 15 years or more( like mine), we think they will go on forever! I think mine would have done but I moved to Scotland & a seal went in transit. Like most of us, you will have had your 2 jabs &, if the "ejits" would be more careful( I watched some of the EFA cup), you will be able to get about a bit more now. Interesting Stuart about the scorpions. A few years ago I remember reading about scorpions arriving here from France- in fruit imports I think. It appears that Kent is warm enough for them to survive.

Offline castle261

Back again after old computer bit the dust.
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2021, 02:23:55 PM »
Back again - after my old screen - bit the dust - Managed to get a re-placement from daughter -
She plumbed it in this morning - so I will carry on with my Coronavirus daily log - until August 23
2021 - I started it on March 10th 2020 - I lost the first part - from March 10 to August 24th 2020.
I carried on from August 23rd - July 23rd  2021, as the screen went too dark - to do anything.
I have lost all my stories - some true ones from the war. thinking cap on again - to do more.