Author Topic: Tunnels on the promenade near Epple Bay, Birchington.  (Read 1595 times)

Offline Lyn L

Re: Tunnels on the promenade near Epple Bay, Birchington.
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2022, 07:50:29 AM »
Thank you for the reminder Dave.
I never have gone into Ramsgate tunnels, in fact haven't been in any tunnels since I was young and lovely  ;D ! When I was fit enough castle steps , a visit to a Salt Mine ( Hallstatt, Austria ) were brilliant and really  enjoyed them. Now going upstairs and down is getting a chore let alone any tunnels or castles  ;)

I did enjoy watching the programme though .

Online Stewie

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2022, 07:40:29 AM »
Stewie. I notice that tomorrow, Monday, at 20.00 on Yesterday tv program, the tunnels under Ramsgate are being explored. Might be of interest to you & LynL.

Thank you Dave Smith, I shall take  look at this. Referring back to the original thread, I was informed that the tunnels at Epple Bay were originally dug to give access to the bay to residents of large private villas along the cliff tops.

Offline Dave Smith

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2022, 03:06:53 PM »
Stewie. I notice that tomorrow, Monday, at 20.00 on Yesterday tv program, the tunnels under Ramsgate are being explored. Might be of interest to you & LynL.

Online Stewie

Tunnels on the promenade near Epple Bay, Birchington.
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2021, 08:01:12 PM »
I wonder if any of the members can help me with the following query please.
[/color]Mrs Stewie and myself walked from Minnis Bay to Margate today and along the promenade approaching Epple Bay, came across a number of abandoned tunnels and substantial brickworks. Many of the tunnels have been sealed but one climbed via a flight of stairs up from the promenade coming out between two houses in what I thought was St Magnus Close. The brickwork which is quite substantial in places and to me resembles that found on some of the 'Palmerstone Folly' era forts so possibly Victorian. We could not identify why the area needed so many tunnels as there seemed to be no obvious reason for them either above or on the promenade itself. There are some ramps down to the sea from the promenade but these seem to be newer than the brickwork so may be a red herring.[/size]
[/color]I cannot find any reference to them on the internet even Google Earth gives no clues and there were no explanations onsite either, though there are other plaques elsewhere connecting the area to seaplane operations in the early 20th century.[/size]
[/color]Can anybody give some more detail please?[/size]