Author Topic: Driving Tests  (Read 6045 times)

Offline Beachbum

Re: Driving Tests
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2023, 08:48:59 PM »
I had my Motorcycle Test in January 1974 and Car Test in July 1974, both in Margate.

The Bike test was a freezing cold day and the Examiner was known for a dislike of motorcycles. He asked every possible highway code question to catch me out. Fortunately I had become a Motorcycle Trainer with the RAC/ACU and was on the ball.

The Car Test was in a brand new car that I had never seen or driven before, I had to walk some miles to the test centre as it was being used for another person prior to my slot.
The emergency stop was on a freshly laid surface with stone chippings all over.
A surprise emergency stop happened by the Clock Tower junction with Eaton Road when a wheelchair fell of the path. I was then stuck in the middle of a very busy junction, and then stalled a couple of times.

Know I have yearly medicals for my HGV Class 1 Licence.

Offline Lutonman

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2023, 05:21:28 PM »
Saw some "moaning" on the internet about old drivers needing to retake their test and that they did not have to do the Theory test. So I did two of them on the internet and passed both times. So just because we are old does not mean those people were right. We bring a lot of experience and indeed more patience I guess. 

Offline shoot999

« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2023, 04:48:08 PM »
I took my test from Rock Avenue, it must have been soon after it moved from New Road.
My emergency stop was covered when someone walked out in front of me and I slammed on the brakes. Examiner said "that will count as your emergency stop"!

Same here. Rock Avenue in 1974. And did my emergency stop when two boys on bikes shot out in front of me coming out of Gillingham Park.

Offline Lutonman

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2023, 02:19:26 PM »
I took my test from Rock Avenue, it must have been soon after it moved from New Road.
My emergency stop was covered when someone walked out in front of me and I slammed on the brakes. Examiner said "that will count as your emergency stop"!

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2023, 09:16:53 PM »
I'm pretty sure the test centre was situated in Rock Avenue when I finally got round to taking my driving test in the late '70s.

I had failed my first test (incorrect use of gears or some such thing) and made sure to book a double lesson before taking it again. My instuctor was really easy to get on with, and had an interesting sense of humour. On pulling up outside the test centre his final words to me were "If you don't pass this time you're a w*nker". Needless to say, I then had no option but to pass - and indeed I did  :)

Offline AlanTH

« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2023, 10:13:11 AM »
I seem to spend a lot of time on memories these days, mostly because the girls don't love me any more.... :) But going back to driving and passing the test etc., I failed my first attempt from the centre on New Road Chatham.
I told the examiner it didn't matter as I always drove everywhere on my own and he gave me a ticking off as it was against the law which of course I knew anyway.
I had a blue Ford Consul with my tools in the back and drove all over the country doing various jobs and never got stopped once by the police although I was followed on numerous occasions. 
Anyway, I drank heaps in the old Bridge Wardens on the Tideway when Arthur Toyer and Connie ran it, and another drinker in there was a bloke named Stan and he was a Sergeant of Traffic. Stan lived right across the road from the pub and knew just about everything we all got up to especially us yobs and was known as a bit of a stickler for road safety.
An older bloke who also drank there, name long forgotten, bought his first car at about 55 - 60 years old so him and "Mum" could go for days out down the coast etc.
Stan nicked him for driving without a licence and no qualified driver with him. The old bloke (much younger than I am now.... ) protested vigorously and said to Stan "There's a youngster in the pub has been driving around for months with L plates on, why don't you give him a ticket?"
Stan's answer was great and the old bloke told me afterwards moaning about it .... "Because he can drive and you can't". Stan took me aside not long after and gave me a good telling off but I still never got a ticket and continued on my merry way for nearly a year before passing the test. :)
AlanTH.

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2021, 10:27:39 AM »
50 years in December since I got my provisional licence:

Offline AlanTH

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2021, 09:42:53 AM »
I've had a license for 55 or 56 years now. I also drove buses for Maidstone and District from Gillingham depot, taxis for Vokes and old Tom Wimble and my own cab after buying 2 at different times. Same here in Oz where I've lived for nearly 50 years, cars, buses and taxis plus trucks but not the real huge ones they use here.
Used to ride motorbikes occasionally but never took a test.
Still drive huge distances when we travel to the north for holidays but don't do the 800 plus kays in a day I used to as I get too tired now. Rather sit back earlier in the day and have a beer or three. :)
AlanH.

PS. Just modified the above years since first getting a license.... so I can drive but can't count yet. :)

Offline Dave Smith

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2021, 09:46:34 PM »
Sorry lads, mine is 60 years car & 63 m/cycle (scooter in my case but license was for all m/c's). No doubt that will be well beaten  by someone in the years to come. Incidentally, my Dad's license- for 1 year only- was 12/1/1924, needed for his work duties. But he never owned a car. His Highway Code book (32 pages), which included signals for cyclists & drivers of horse drawn vehicles, cost 1d.

Offline Howardws

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2021, 09:06:13 PM »
My father didn’t have to take a test when he bought his first car - a  three wheel Morgan with a Jap vee twin engine. Apparently he bought it at an auction and drove it away. When I asked how he learned to drive he was most affronted. His reply was “I’m an Engineer, I knew how a car worked, therefore I knew how to drive”.

Offline johnfilmer

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2021, 05:40:17 PM »
Our sons could never drive my wife’s Land Rover Defender 110 because it had too many seats for their newer licences without a further test.

They would also need to take yet another test to be able to tow our trailer with it. We didn’t realise the differences between our entitlements for a while. Didn’t stop them driving it around our field!

My father never took a test (born 1909) and he was a lorry driver. His licence, the old red one, simply said “All Groups”.
Illegitimus nil carborundum

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2021, 05:04:57 PM »
It's interesting comparing my driving licence with my son's.  You get a lot less groups after you've passed your test these days.

Online grandarog

• Mr
  • Man of Kent .Born and Bred.
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2021, 04:06:11 PM »
 When the HGV licences were introduced in the late 60's An employer just had to say you had been driving xxx type vehicles and you were given the licence ,no testing involved.
Us lads in the RAF with B class 1629 service licences had been driving HGV's ie. Rigid Bedfords,Hippos ,Matadors and some even Queen Marys (Extra long Artics).
 I personally spent many hours driving flagged  and boarded Hippos conveying explosives from railway yards to RAF Stations I was at.
 Come the day the RAF decided they weren't going to authorise us, only actual MT Trade Drivers, not B or C class.
Consequently there was a shortage of drivers and a panic drive to recruit more.Some lads changed trades just to get the licence before they demobbed.

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2021, 03:49:39 PM »
Quite believable.  My late uncle (born 1914) never took a test, and was driving into hist 90s.  I believe in his case he just applied for the license when they started issuing them.  Tests only started in 1935 by which time he was 21 and already driving.

Offline Colin walsh

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2021, 03:23:09 PM »
Hi,never took a driving test in my life.yet I held a full license,including HGV.
My story:- I was hanging around the M/T Pool at 33Engineer Reg,(as one did in my day,) engaged in the nobl art of avoiding work/drill or any other military type occupation.officer to me:"- can you drive,"me "no sir" officer type dumbo "well jump in this Land Rover. With me"short lesson on starting,stoping and the bit in between (steering gear changing ECT)  officer "well done lad "handed me a pink slip(note ,not female underwear)army type form,officer "go to Maidstone lines and procure a driving license from the transport officer,your in the convoy tomorrow , were of to Osnabruck.sounds funny ,but I swear by the great panjandrum it's somewhere near the truth