Author Topic: LIFE ON OUR STREET - DURING THE WAR.  (Read 1103 times)

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
Re: LIFE ON OUR STREET - DURING THE WAR.
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2023, 09:39:39 AM »
Just before we arrived back home - after being evacuated to south Wales for one year - We found that Ordnance Street was hit by by two parachute mines-
in 1941 - One just missing the Rail Station by 150 yards - the other by the Fox & Hounds - further up - Our parents lived in the next street - yards away.

Offline castle261

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2023, 08:28:06 AM »
Our Post was at the top of Ordnance Street - in Chatham - Inside the Girl`s School Playground.
I dont know what area - we covered Stuart - or where the next post was.
Next to us - was an axillary Fire Post - with several Water Pumps - towed - behind a car.

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2023, 11:44:36 AM »
Where was your Post and what area did you cover?
"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

Offline castle261

LIFE ON OUR STREET - DURING THE WAR.
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2023, 09:48:35 AM »
Life in our street - during the war - we - my brother & I joined the ARP Service in 1941 - that meant we were on stand-by if the air raid siren - went off.
 So most evenings - we were in ARP trousers / boots /gaiters - A quick change into battledress & greatcoat - grab the bike up to Post.
At the same time  a- we could hear the Bells - go off next door - as he was a retained Fireman - he was outside the front door - before we were.
At the Post - we would sign in - then as the other Warders & Messengers arrived  - we would by assigned duties in certain roads / streets / making
sure NO LIGHTs - were visible - for the air - If where was - we would shout the warning - PUT THAT LIGHT OUT - which in most cases - were done.
I - sure fired house - belonged to the of the Lady of the night - after several attempts to get to her to conform - we knocked on her door - all Hell
was let loose - as a man come out of the door - brandishing a long knife - We ran - one way to get away - we reported the incident.

We had three Wardens & Five Messengers - at that time -  at the Post.