Author Topic: H. M. S. Trenchant  (Read 1424 times)

Offline shoot999

Re: H. M. S. Trenchant
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2021, 06:28:12 PM »
According to the 2019 Government report into the 'dismal failure' to dispose of the obsolete nuclear fleet, it revealed that 9 of the subs at Devonport still contain radioactive fuel  and no nuclear submarine had been defueled since 2004. Seven of  those have been laid up for longer than they were in commission for.
The Polaris subs which finished in the mid 90s are still around 25 years later.

And having worked in the basin next to these vessels it looks very much like a graveyard.

Just a guess, but I think if they dumped these in 1 Basin the local residents might be a little concerned  about the value of their homes.

Offline Dave Smith

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2021, 05:46:57 PM »
Shoot999. As British Nuclear Subs. are designed with easy access to the "hot part" for easy removal on decommissioning (unlike U.S. & Russian Boats where 1/3 of the boat is sealed off for separate disposal- the Russians even made a couple using liquid metal for cooling, so a solid lump of lead for disposal as well!). So once the munitions are taken away, the hull, etc., can be sold for scrap. So I don't think the Medway at Chatham would become a graveyard of rusting hulks. And the nuclear waste would probably end up at Sellafield.   [size=78%] [/size]

Offline shoot999

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2021, 12:49:49 PM »
Trenchant will bring the number back up to 13 nuclear subs, as Courageous was defueled and off somewhere as a museum piece.

Longpockets

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2021, 10:05:38 AM »
shoot999

After I had seen your posted image I looked at the area on Google Earth and there are another two shown in the dock to the right and below of what you have shown. Not sure if they are all nuclear though.

Offline shoot999

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2021, 07:46:59 PM »
Always think be careful what you wish for when bemoaning the closure of the yard.  I'd guess Chatham would be the nuclear graveyard if it had stayed open. Think Trenchant makes it 10 nuclear subs dumped less that half a mile from residential Plymouth.

Longpockets

H. M. S. Trenchant
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2021, 07:10:55 PM »
Might be of interest to some, with the original Trenchant being a Chatham built vessel, the current submarine bearer of the name H. M. S. Trenchant, a Trafalgar Class nuclear powered submarine, has arrived in Devonport for decommissioning later this year.