Author Topic: Rochester City Walls  (Read 2552 times)

Offline Colin walsh

Re: Rochester City Walls
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2020, 12:12:50 PM »
Gentalman ,thank you for your input ,Pete I based the date on the time I would have attended ST Margrets primary school,as stated it was an aproxamation ,but the information given is invaluable to  me,MartinR thank you for your reply ,sounds worth investigating ,  let's see if I can search further ,but the report ,part of which you published is pretty comprehensive ,once again thank you both

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 11:35:15 AM »
I can't comment on any 1950/2 digs other than to point out that it was diametrically opposed to the 1955/6 dig so might not be connected.  The 1955/6 dig did show a short tunnel under the walls in the North-West bastion.  The entrance is shown in an 1811 view.  The tunnel led to the bottom of a straight sided shaft rising up to the level of the bailey.  Goods (and possibly people) could be brought by water to the tunnel and hauled up directly into the castle.  The vertical shaft was lined with masonry, so could be easily defended.  Before the Esplanade and the gardens were built the river came right up to the walls.  The entrance archway is buried some 7' under the current level of the Esplanade.
Reference:
The Paul Drury Partnership (October 2009), Rochester Castle Conservation Plan Part 1: Understanding and Significance (p. 55) (PDF), Teddington: The Paul Drury Partnership.

pete.mason

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 10:53:46 AM »
Colin are you sure about the dates? I can remember reading of a dig in the KM, would have been about 1955/56. Think they also found a tunnel  running from the river side of the castle

Offline Colin walsh

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 12:51:49 AM »
Looking for information on a archeological dig that took place circa 1950/52 .sight -:boly hill in the moat by the door way in the red brick wall.
Proposed target:-   To search for possible traces of the mining activity ref the collapse of the tower during the siege of the castle.
My interest, I was a pupil of St Margrets primary school, a group of boys ,my self included ,taken to view the dig by MrBerry our headmaster.

Offline Smiffy

Rochester City Walls
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 02:15:10 AM »