Author Topic: Chatham Intra Synagogue  (Read 3481 times)

Offline MartinR

• Administrator
  • Yorkshire exile, father of two Men of Kent
Re: Chatham Intra Synagogue
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2020, 06:01:08 PM »
Here's a picture of Simon's memorial. The gate which was removed during or after last autumn's vandalism has been repaired and is now bolted shut, so there is no public access to the burial ground.
I've been trying to post a photo of the memorial for the last couple of days.  I have several photos of Magnus family graves and may try again if a week or two if anyone is interested.

Online shoot999

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 02:25:00 PM »
Not directly related to the Blackshirts; but Heather Piercey, the daughter of 'Lord Haw Haw' William Joyce, regularly attended the Chatham Synagogue from the mid 60s as an act of atonement for what her father had done.

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 11:39:18 AM »
Fascinating stuff, thank you for posting it. It's a shame that the expulsion of Jews under Edward I is not covered in any real detail. There is also nothing about the impact on Chatham's Jewish community of Moseley's Blackshirts in the years prior to the outbreak of World War Two. Were they active in Chatham at all, or were they mainly active in East London?
"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

Online shoot999

Chatham Intra Synagogue
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 10:16:53 AM »
A fascinating history of the Jewish community and its synagogue at Chatham Intra

http://www.jtrails.org.uk/trails/chatham-and-rochester/history