Author Topic: Sun Pier, Chatham  (Read 5429 times)

KeithG

Re: Sun Pier, Chatham
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2020, 01:23:37 PM »
smiffy.......i have no idea what date the picture is exactly. I downloaded it quite a few years back as there are not many pictures about of the actual pier head itself.

Of course being on a river there were numerous piers in the Medway Towns stretch they mostly had pontoons some such as Strood the whole pier was a large pontoon which went up and down with the tide.

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2020, 12:59:09 PM »
Cheers CAT, I wasn't far off then :)

Offline CAT

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2020, 08:24:51 AM »
The official pier monument listing states 'Commercial pier for merchant ships in the River Medway. Site of a pier existing in 1765 which was subsequently improved in 1864 and destroyed by gales in 1885. The present pier was constructed in 1886 with an extension added in 1902-4. Major refurbishment carried out in 1982 and a new landing stage added in 1987'

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2020, 09:54:24 PM »
KeithG,

Any idea of the date? It must be pre-1907 as the OS for that period already shows it in its final incarnation. Looking at previous maps it looks like it may have been extended some time around 1900.

KeithG

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2020, 07:20:09 PM »
Found a different picture in my collection of Sun Pier.

Offline stuartwaters

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2020, 10:49:11 PM »
I was in the Sealed Knot many years ago (mid to late 1990's). Lord Saye and Sele's Blew Regiment of Foote (a regiment of the Parliament Army). I met loads of good people, some of whom I'm still friends with. It's what sparked my interest in telling stories and trying to bring history to life.
"I did not say the French would not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent.

Offline castle261

• Life is for living - Love is for giving.
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2020, 06:49:39 PM »
Yes, I slip of the mind, CAT.

Offline CAT

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2020, 01:12:48 PM »
Do you mean 'The Sealed Knot' who are a re-enactment group covering the English Civil War? If so, then they are exceptionally good.

Offline castle261

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2020, 12:48:47 PM »
I remember the event put on by `The Sealed Society`at Upnor. I think I went there by bus,
although it was`nt all the long ago ( memory )  The fight`s were good & a good day was had by all.

Offline Invicta Alec

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2020, 03:28:40 PM »
After family days out at Upnor back in the fifties I seem to remember there was always the dilemma of the return journey home.
Either you could take the boat back to the Sun Pier or you could take the bus. The bus was always crowded and took an age at the end of a humid day to chug slowly through Frindsbury and over the one lane in each direction bridge at Rochester before eventually making it back to Chatham Town Hall.

The boat though much swifter was of course much more expensive. I stand to be corrected but it was something like 2d for the bus and 6d for the boat. With four kids it was a rarity for mum and dad to be able to treat us to the boat trip.

Alec.

Offline castle261

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2020, 06:06:28 PM »
I remember the small boat that went to Upnor. The small fair, with a helter skelter, the boat swing.

I lost my yacht, trailing it behind, along the river, from the Sun Pier.

Offline Smiffy

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2020, 11:52:43 AM »
Also remember when on school holidays going pea picking with my mother the women were picked up near Sun Pier on an open backed lorry all the women middle aged to old plus any children on the back of an open lorry.

Wasn't that the Kent Land Army, or something? I remember the same, but for me it was going plum picking. :)

Offline pr1uk

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2020, 07:50:17 AM »
pr1uk, I remember doing that trip as a class outing when I was at Junior school. Open motor launch, no lifejackets!

I used to love that trip and as for lifejackets can you image todays namby pamby society what the health and safety requirements would be. Also remember when on school holidays going pea picking with my mother the women were picked up near Sun Pier on an open backed lorry all the women middle aged to old plus any children on the back of an open lorry.
How did we ever survive

Offline CAT

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2020, 09:35:15 AM »
... and another, this time showing the military providing relief from the end of Sun Pier following the floods of the early 1950s

Offline CAT

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2020, 09:32:59 AM »
A pic in my collection that I had used previously on the other KHF site, but thought it could do with another airing here it being from the early 1950s