Author Topic: Guess the Place  (Read 1040875 times)

Offline Diapason

Re: Guess the Place
« Reply #5152 on: August 24, 2021, 01:34:29 PM »
Thanks for your detailed explanation CAT. I never did know the complete history of this extremely interesting building.

Many thanks Diapason, this is a doorway I know well from when I worked at the church over 15 years ago. The door is not visible on the interior due to a major scheme of restoration to the church, especially its interior as it was made of chalk blockwork (a very unusual material to use in Kent for face-work). Having been un-roofed and a particularly wet, and then severe cold winter, the interior chalk blockwork largely shattered despite the covering the walls with hessian sheets and straw bales and the lighting of braziers inside the church, each maned 24hrs a day. This meant the entire interior required replacing with the architect/builder requiring large amounts of cut chalk blocks (known as 'clunch') to reface the entire interior. This was coupled with the redressing of the exterior wall faces with knapped flintwork, all in a typical Victorian style, which is why the church appears more modern than its early Norman origin. The west door, which is partially formed of 'Tufa' (a mainly calcium carbonate derived stone particularly like by the Romans and Normans alike) was partially preserved as an antiquarian feature during these works.

Offline John Walker

« Reply #5151 on: August 24, 2021, 01:05:38 PM »
Quick guess - St Mary the Virgin, Stansted

Offline CAT

« Reply #5150 on: August 24, 2021, 08:51:32 AM »
Sorry to all for the delay, work keeping me away from the computer.

Many thanks Diapason, this is a doorway I know well from when I worked at the church over 15 years ago. The door is not visible on the interior due to a major scheme of restoration to the church, especially its interior as it was made of chalk blockwork (a very unusual material to use in Kent for face-work). Having been un-roofed and a particularly wet, and then severe cold winter, the interior chalk blockwork largely shattered despite the covering the walls with hessian sheets and straw bales and the lighting of braziers inside the church, each maned 24hrs a day. This meant the entire interior required replacing with the architect/builder requiring large amounts of cut chalk blocks (known as 'clunch') to reface the entire interior. This was coupled with the redressing of the exterior wall faces with knapped flintwork, all in a typical Victorian style, which is why the church appears more modern than its early Norman origin. The west door, which is partially formed of 'Tufa' (a mainly calcium carbonate derived stone particularly like by the Romans and Normans alike) was partially preserved as an antiquarian feature during these works.

However, here is my next one, but where is this mid eighteenth century view of this Kent church?

Offline Diapason

« Reply #5149 on: August 23, 2021, 08:17:13 AM »
Well done CAT, it`s the blocked west door which, if I remember correctly, cannot be detected from the interior. Photo taken a few years ago.

Offline CAT

« Reply #5148 on: August 22, 2021, 05:30:35 PM »
St James' Church,  Bicknor?

Offline grandarog

• Mr
  • Man of Kent .Born and Bred.
« Reply #5147 on: August 22, 2021, 07:43:49 AM »
How about St Laurance ,Bapchild,? :)

Offline Diapason

« Reply #5146 on: August 22, 2021, 06:58:08 AM »
Not Frinsted but not too far away. 

Offline John Walker

« Reply #5145 on: August 21, 2021, 05:08:31 PM »
Are we back at St Dunstans, Frinsted?

Offline Diapason

« Reply #5144 on: August 21, 2021, 02:27:37 PM »
Another ecclesiastical offering

Offline John Walker

« Reply #5143 on: August 21, 2021, 01:06:36 PM »
I've not heard of a charnel house so had to look it up.  something else I've learned from this group.

A charnel house is a vault or building where human skeletal remains are stored,  They are often built near churches for depositing bones that are unearthed while digging graves.

Offline johnfilmer

• Administrator
« Reply #5142 on: August 21, 2021, 12:40:24 PM »
That’s the place Diapason.

It gets described in many ways, a bier house is one, and I was trying to work an alcoholic clue to Pete’s  dead pub (beer house) theme.

Over to you.
Illegitimus nil carborundum

Offline Diapason

« Reply #5141 on: August 21, 2021, 09:24:16 AM »
The old Charnel House opposite Ospringe church?

Offline johnfilmer

• Administrator
« Reply #5140 on: August 21, 2021, 08:44:56 AM »
There is a nearby stream, and a linked road name, but the building itself has absolutely nothing to do with water.
Illegitimus nil carborundum

Offline John Walker

« Reply #5139 on: August 21, 2021, 01:38:35 AM »
Is it something to do with water?

Offline grandarog

• Mr
  • Man of Kent .Born and Bred.
« Reply #5138 on: August 20, 2021, 06:27:10 PM »
You're right ,I will hang back for others to try. :)