Author Topic: Name Prefix  (Read 475 times)

Offline grandarog

• Mr
  • Man of Kent .Born and Bred.
Re: Name Prefix
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2024, 07:26:17 PM »
Glad y enjoyed the read. I am very proud of my Dad .He would have been 128 Years old this year.
My Uncle/Godfather Sid also served in WW1 in the RFC later RAF. Then again in WW2.
The 2 links below tell his stories.

www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=871101.msg7422608#msg7422608

www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,306290.0.html

Offline Replica

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2024, 04:45:24 PM »
Hello Roger,
That was a very interesting post from you and others on that forum. The pictures of your dad are very nice, as well as the certificate from the king.
I would also proudly hang such a certificate on my wall.

Regards,
Ryan

Offline grandarog

• Mr
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2024, 07:27:51 PM »
Thanks for the reply.I am so glad your Dad enjoyed the nostalgia session . I have put a link on for you when you have an hour to spare you can read all about my Dad in the First World War. He was very lucky to survive.

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=310797.msg1921202#msg1921202

Regards Roger.

Offline Replica

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2024, 01:30:56 PM »
Hi Grandarog. I saw my dad yesterday, and yes, he knew that Ronald passed away. He was informed by Reginald via telegram (my dad referred to him as Reggie).
He had to really had to think hard when I mentioned Ronald's sister. He vaguely remembered that fact, probably because they never actually met. He really enjoyed reminiscing about the 60s. Cheers!

Offline Replica

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2024, 10:45:06 PM »
Your dad did pretty good considering. I sure hope to live that long in half decent health. My dad is Canadian born and has been to the UK a couple times to visit the Wilsons I believe. I'll have to ask him more about that as well as Ronald's sister. Yes, he's well taken care of at the home thanks. In 2003 I was in the UK for a six week job at British Gypsum (East Leake site) outside of Nottingham. I didn't see the sun the entire time I was there. However, the food, bitters and people were top notch. I hope you're doing well, and enjoying, dare I say, your retirement? When I have more time I'll have to read some of your posts. Take care.

Offline grandarog

• Mr
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2024, 10:53:27 PM »
It's a Pleasure. I do hope your Dad is happy where he is . Hopefully being well cared for . Good job it is just his memory failing and not Dementia which is horrible, my Dad had it for a couple of years before he died at 90. You will be keeping Dad's  mind active with the info .Enjoy your visits with him. Was your Dad from England or Canadian born?

Offline Replica

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2024, 10:31:34 PM »
Hi Grandarog, excellent work. I will ask my dad about Ronald's sister.
He died in 1966??? I will reveal this to my dad as I'm not sure he even knows this. Obviously this was not the gentleman I remembered as a lad. I now realize I was only two years old when he passed away. My dad had several friends from the UK, I think I'm mixing up Ronald Lewis Wilson with another Englishman. But for sure Ronald was the good friend of my dad's. That signature I posted was from his bible that he gave my mom on his last visit to Canada. He also gave my dad an album of stamps from around the work which I now have. Well sir, I'm not sure if there is more to be found on Ronald, but I sure appreciate all you've done.

Offline grandarog

• Mr
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2024, 08:03:09 PM »
As you say Reg was more documented than Ron. You were right about him and Trinidad .

All is revealed in the Attachment. The Courier September  9th 1966:).

Did your Dad know they had a sister.

Veronica L Wilson Bn 1893. Father Reginald Wilson ,
She married

First name(s) Veronica Lewis
Last name Wilson
Sex Female
Marriage year 1917
Marriage date 2 Aug 1917
Marriage place Croydon
Marriage county Surrey
Marriage country England
Spouse's first name(s) Robert
Spouse's last name Simpson
Spouse's sex Male
Spouse's residence place Liverpool
Spouse's residence county Lancashire
Father's first name Reginald
Father's last name Wilson
Spouse's father's first name(s) J G
Spouse's father's last name Simpson
Working title The Sutton Advertiser, etc.
Publication title Sutton & Epsom Advertiser
Publication year 1917

Not found any more about them.

Offline Replica

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2024, 01:59:30 PM »
Hello Grandarog. This is very good. I guess there is much more about about Reginald than Ronald out there. Although my dad's memory is deteriorating, it's pretty good when he's on his A-Game. I wonder where he got the address 44 St. James Road, Tunbridge Wells from? So Ronald actually lived at the Sevenoaks address that you mentioned earlier? There are no records about Free mason members? I'll ask my dad more questions next time I visit him at the long term care home. Many thanks!

Offline grandarog

• Mr
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2024, 12:08:33 PM »
No Problem Ryan, I have been researching Family History,s since the 1980's.
   I have not found any more info about Ronald to date but will keep searching.

I must update you reference Ronald's brother Reginald.

His Full name was Oscar Reginald Lewis Wilson. Born 1890. He in fact was married in 1916.His wife's maiden name was Beamish.

This is him and his wife in 1921 living at:- 14, Drewstead Road, Wandsworth Borough, London

Oscar Reginald Lewis   Wilson   Head   Male   1890   31   Bn Croydon, Surrey, England   Physician & Surgeon Medical Assessor   Ministry Of Pensions
Zoe Sophia Orpen   Wilson   Wife   Female   1882    39   Bn Cork, Ireland   Home Duties Nursing Sister Retired   Qa1mns

He had served in the Royal Medical Corps as a Captain in WW1.

In 1939 Reginald is living at 6, Drewstead Road, Wandsworth, London. (Presumably due to location of his Work)

Oscar R L   Wilson   04 Dec 1889   Male   Civil Servant M O Ministry Of P   Married   

His wife Zoe Sophia is living at the same address as Ronald in Sevenoaks. She listed as married and of Private Means.(Maybe they had split up)

Zoe S ?   Wilson   15 Dec 1880   Female   Private Means   Married   

Reginald Died in 1974. He left £21,596.00 in his will.
 Oscar Reginald Lewis Wilson. Death date 09 Apr 1974,   Wells Somerset

I haven't found his wife Zoe's Death yet.

Click on the image to enlarge.

Offline Replica

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2024, 01:16:49 PM »
Thanks Grandarog!
Good photo shop work on the pic.
I think you're on the right track. I spoke with my aging dad yesterday and he was able to recall that Mr. Wilson did indeed work in a law office - but as an actual solicitor and not a Book Keeper. He could be wrong as his memory fades in and out. Also, he though Mr. Wilson lived at 44 St. James Road, Tunbridge Wells with his brother Reginald. The name Ronald is correct. Mr. Wilson left England in the late 50s or early 60s to retire in Trinidad and Tobago It's unclear if he remained in Trinidad. Ronald was an avid collector of stamps and coins. He was also a Free Mason. He never married nor did his brother Reginald. Reginald was a medical practitioner of some sort. My dad can't remember where Ronald resided when he last visited Canada.
As a lad I remembered that Ronald was such kind, friendly man. It would be great to know more about him. Things like where he was stationed during the war etc., if possible.
I truly appreciate your help with this. How you able to find so much about him already?

Ryan

Offline grandarog

• Mr
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2024, 01:50:33 PM »
Replica.
Welcome to the Forum Ryan. 
 The only suggestion i can make is  "Resident Liaison Officer." If you can give us a bit more detail on Lewis Wilson ie:- D of Birth ,where he lived, D of death, was he Married ,Wife's name etc.We may be able to track him down and get more info for you.
I have adjusted your pic. of his name to make it easier on the eye.

It need not be an occupation It could be his Initials in which case it could be this chap,
Ronald W L Wilson in 1939
DoB 03 Aug 1892   
Male   Solicitors Cashier- Book Keeper   
Address. "Red Walls" Swan Lane, Marlpit Hill, Sevenoaks R.D., Kent, England

Offline Replica

Name Prefix
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2024, 11:50:38 AM »
Hello all,
I don't actually live in Kent, or the UK at all. I live in Canada. A good friend of my dad's live in Kent and this gentleman passed away many many years ago.
When he visited Canada he brought with him books and things and one of these books had his name in it. I've always wondered what the "RLO..." prefix to his name meant. I hope someone can help me. Attached is a picture of his name.

Ryan