Military History > Miscellaneous Military History

Harrietsham Zero station in WW2

<< < (2/2)

grandarog:
Great read .Thanks for posting. I remember reading some time ago that they were so well hidden they fooled even the top brass. Apparently there was a very sceptical Senior Army Officer that was assigned to do an inspection of one unit. The officer in charge met him at the Railway station and apologised for no transport but it was only a short distance so they could walk. After a short while he said to the Senior Officer "you look tired, lets rest up here for  a break".They sat on the edge of a sheep watering trough and were chatting when the SO said "how much further to your hidey hole" Smiling the young officer said " stand up and i will show you". Then grasping the end of the trough he tilted it up to head height to reveal a set of steps leading down into his Bunker. Needless to say the SO was most impressed.

stuartwaters:
Hi there and welcome to the Forum. A very interesting article, thank you for posting it.

Brian Drury:
 I wrote a short piece for the Nov 2020 Harrietsham village magazine and thought it may be of interest to the members here.
The article starts on page 37 and runs through to page 44 so it’s not a short read.
The link is here:
https://harrietshamfishscheme.org/documents/November%202020%20page%20order.pdf
A pdf of the original is attached.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version